Hubertus Spring Replacement

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
OleRod

Hubertus Spring Replacement

Post by OleRod »

I just bought a Hubertus Guardian Enduring Freedom commenerative knife.

Maybe I have read two many articles about Hubertus springs breaking, and am getting paranoid. :?

Are there better quality springs available than the factory ones?

If so should I just go ahead and have the factory one replaced now?

In any event should I get a few spare springs and keep them in my back pocket until maybe needed
sometime in the future?

What size spring would my knife take?

OleRod
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Hubertus Spring Replacement

Post by Bill DeShivs »

If you keep the existing spring properly seated, you shouldn't have a breakage problem. These springs "walk out" and the tip gets closer to the blade. This causes the springs (and sometimes the backspring!) to break.
If it does break, I can install a hand made spring. I have never had one returned for breakage.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
OleRod

Post by OleRod »

Bill!! Thank you so very much for the advice.

Let be belabor the situation just a little more. Obviously I am new to collecting knives. I will really try to make this my one and only dumb question. :oops: I am sure you have heard that before!! :roll: ha ha

In the last month I started a little collection that now includes this Hubie, a Beltrame and 5 Leverlettos (marked with some guy's name .. DeShives or something like that ..... ha ha)

Like most collectors (I think) these knives will lay in a display box or desk drawer and only occassionally be fired up once their newness wears off. So spring breakage may never really be a problem except in the owner's mind.

However, in order gain peace of mind by assuring the spring is properly seated, I am planning on locating a small diameter wood dowel (or something like that) that will let me occassionally slide the tip into the knife and tap.... tap.... tap on the spring. I think I should be able to tell if the spring has or has not advanced forward out of the knife.

Do you have any other suggestion?

Ole Rod
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Try a brass rod.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
k32

Post by k32 »

Bill DeShivs wrote:Try a brass rod.
Can you explain this procedure? Where does the spring come unseated? Where do you tap it?

Bill
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Tap the spring toward the rear of the knife, any way you can. Either it will move, or it won't. If it doesn't move, its probably fully seated.
Hubertus springs have a habit of working themselves forward, out of the slot in the backspring.