Ordering a OTF from Blades HQ question

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
STLCARDS11

Ordering a OTF from Blades HQ question

Post by STLCARDS11 »

I am a non military or LE but it is legal to own a switchblade as a keepsake in my state. Can I order a Microtech OTF from BladesHq.com without any problems?
turbo_dog

Re: Ordering a OTF from Blades HQ question

Post by turbo_dog »

I am hesitant to discuss legal issues, but I just reviewed the forum rules, and the only restriction seems to be in discussing importing. I am no expert on state laws nor on shipment across state lines.

But, I have ordered many switchblades from many sources, including several from BladeHQ, and I have never been asked to prove any armed forces or law enforcement affiliation. Some sites do require a copy of credentials before selling or shipping, but I have never bought from any of them.

My understanding of the law is that to legally be shipped a knife, you must be a supply or procurement officer of a law enforcement or armed forces group, or a manufacturer, or dealer.

In the interest of privacy, I am not going to reveal whether or not I am in one of the above groups, but I would wager that at least some/most people who buy are not. And as I said, I've never been asked for any sort of proof.

I would never advocate breaking any law, but the odds are about 99 to 1 that anyone who ordered from one these places would never be caught if in fact they didn't legally qualify. If you aren't, and implying that you are by placing an order bothers you, you'll probably need to travel to a brick and mortar store to get one.

It's kind of a "Don't ask, don't tell" situation. As long as you are over 18 and don't live in Illinois, most places will sell to you, no questions asked.
Chrisadamley

Post by Chrisadamley »

I have purchased quite a few auto's from online store/people. Never had any problem.

Unless their policy is that you need those credentials, then just go to a different site.

In any case, if a company did send you an automatic and they were not supposed to, i think its their liability. Because if you are allowed to own in your state (not carry just own in your home)...then you wont get in trouble for owning it :)

They would be in trouble for selling to someone that whatever regulation prohibited......

I wouldn't really worry about it. Just order the knife and it will come and everything will be good :)

But like previous poster stated, if you are REALLY worried for whatever reason, then you should probably purchase it personally or from someone online that has something you want.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Should be no problem what so ever. 8)
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

The law requires the SELLER to comply with the law, and they often ask you to fill out a form to show they did a "best effort" to comply with the law. There is a remote chance that you could be considered to have "conspired" to commit a crime with the seller if both the seller and buyer agreed to illegally send a switchblade accross state lines. All that said, they are sold everyday, and there is rarely an arrest. DO NOT use the USPS to mail them as there are MANY cases of arrest for this crime.
cam

Post by cam »

I want to be clear on this: when someone flat out tell us that they are not military/LEO, etc we will not ship any automatic knives to that individual. If you tell me that you can't legally own it then I can't send it. There are a lot of good alternatives though- spring assist knives have come a long way (even the OTF models). I'd actually love to go on a rant about how silly laws are (in my mind fixed blades will always be the most deadly type of knife, but remain completely unrestricted), but I'll save it for another time.

-Cam
thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy »

Hey Cam, I havent heard from you in awhile! Did you wake up from hibernation or something :smile:
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Here's a good example whe "don't ask, don't tell" works. :lol:
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

thatoneguy wrote:Hey Cam, I havent heard from you in awhile! Did you wake up from hibernation or something :smile:
He's been busy only selling knives to the millions of military/LEO, etc. :wink:
thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy »

I havent had a chance to be one of those millions lately. A little too much fun over the winter has left poor me in need of a new snowmobile :wink: Maybe a little later though
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Mr. thatoneguy,

Do you know how many switchblades you could buy with the money it will cost for a jimpin' new snowmobile? Me neitherness, but I bet it would be a LOT!! :P HO! HO! :P
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy »

Right now im lookin at about $800 for a new one. That would be a nice little selection of blades, but it wouldnt go as fast :wink:
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Do you every go 35mph in a 25 zone? Thats "illegal" but everyone does it! Almost every Knife I own is "illegal". If you want it just buy it & enjoy it.
Larry
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Thanks to the new law in my state, ALL my knives are legal 8)
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Vagrant wrote:Thanks to the new law in my state, ALL my knives are legal 8)
Lucky you!The old Draconian legislation lingers on in many states as if it were a bad case of psoriasis! :P
Fishtail Picklock