Olive wood handle knives

This is a forum for discussion on professional kitchen knives and accessories. This forum is sponsored by Due Buoi.

Moderators: natcherly, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Mr. Vagrant,

Do you cut lots of stuff inna dark? :smile:
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Any knife design that has remained the same for 2 or 3 centuries is probably "perfect" for it's culture and original use :idea: If you want to "disassemble" a Reindeer into seperate components a Puukko is perfect. As soon as they had steel, the Inuit/Aluets/Yakuts/ etc. all made VERY similar knives for their Reindeer/Caribou. The German Nicker does the same job on Red-Deer Axis-Deer etc but is designed more for saving the "good parts" but not using everything so there is more "waste" that more northern people would use [sinew, bone, etc].
The Climate and Environment effects knife design and politics. One reason for the Regione Autonoma Friuli/Venezia/Giulia is the cultutal differences they have from Sicily/Sardinia. Those differences are because of the climate/environment :idea: I'll bet the knife designs were also different in the past.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

JerrBear wrote:Mr. Vagrant,

Do you cut lots of stuff inna dark? :smile:
More than most :wink: BUT when I do I usually have a small LED flashlight clamped in my gums :idea: Knowing how a knife is oriented in my hand lets me keep the light on what I'm cutting.
Vito

Post by Vito »

Hi Vagrant,
i don't know PUUKO, do you have any link?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Links
http://www.kellamknives.com/cart/shop.c ... ndex2.html
http://www.cloudberrymarket.com/servlet ... Categories
http://kreavex.com/bladegallery/knives/puukko/
The last link shows a non-traditional handle [very close to how I would make it, but the edge of the blade should come to the handle not stop so far from it]
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

A classic German Nicker. [I frequently mis-spell it as "knicker", since a lot of English words begin "kn" I may be part German but I'm SOOO American it affects my spelling :wink: ] The Nicker blade is sligthly better than a Puukko for THIN, Straight, slicing but not as good for heavy cuts in hard material, or curving cuts.
Vito

Post by Vito »

Thank you, Vagrant,
i'm gonna study.......