Stag Transitional from Maniago

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Quaero

Stag Transitional from Maniago

Post by Quaero »

Following the Stag Red Rose, here is another fairly unique 11 inch stag handled stiletto. This is quite obviously a transitional model which is a picklock but has a later style flat ground blade with a false edge. I would think that this must have been one of the very last of the Maniago picklock knives from the late 1950s or possibly very early 1960s. The tang stamp reads "MADE IN ITALY INOXID" which is certainly generic, but the knife is well made with nice stag handles on both sides.
Attachments
Maniago Stag Transitional (1000x704).jpg
Maniago Stag Transitional (1000x704).jpg (282.76 KiB) Viewed 2237 times
thom

Re: Stag Transitional from Maniago

Post by thom »

That is nice!!
Chris51P

Post by Chris51P »

Very nice piece. The stag has aged really well... nice patina.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

That’s a beauty!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Nice example of a knife in a narrow niche, still an old picklock but nice stag and a flat ground blade. The fact that it appears to be in fine condition makes it all the better.

Jim
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

Great stag and very nicely aged.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

That's not a transitional; that's a picklock with a rare swedge blade. A transitional would be just like that one but with a swivel bolster.

It looks like a great one. I can't remember ever seeing a swedge PL with a MII stamp. It seems like every one I have seen had a B.Svoboda stamp.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

JimBrown257 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:29 am That's not a transitional; that's a picklock with a rare swedge blade. A transitional would be just like that one but with a swivel bolster.

It looks like a great one. I can't remember ever seeing a swedge PL with a MII stamp. It seems like every one I have seen had a B.Svoboda stamp.
I have at least 3 EIG Cutlery 9" picklocks with swedge blades and 1 more that's not stamped myself.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

What is the definition of a transitional switchblade?
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

Jackalope wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:41 am What is the definition of a transitional switchblade?
I have always understood a transitional switchblade to mean a knife made in the late 50's and early 60's ... still using high quality parts of the picklocks but having a swivel bolster.. therefore transitioning from picklocks to swivels.

Mike
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

See, I’ve always considered it a “transitional period”, meaning a period of time. Not a particular knife. The transition from picklock to swivel, yes. But, I think that swedge blade was the beginning of that transition. Using up the old picklock parts with the newly designed blades. Just me of course lol.

portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

JulesVane wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:58 am See, I’ve always considered it a “transitional period”, meaning a period of time. Not a particular knife. The transition from picklock to swivel, yes. But, I think that swedge blade was the beginning of that transition. Using up the old picklock parts with the newly designed blades. Just me of course lol.
That makes alot of sense and I forgot about the blade transition..
Quaero

Post by Quaero »

While many think in terms of a transitional as being a swivel bolster model as JimBrown stated, I tend to think more in the vein of a time period change as JulesVane described quite well. Basically a transition of one design to another.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Quaero wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:17 am While many think in terms of a transitional as being a swivel bolster model as JimBrown stated, I tend to think more in the vein of a time period change as JulesVane described quite well. Basically a transition of one design to another.
Logically, that would be what it means: anything between an original plicklock and the modern swivel Italian. But the way it is meant by collectors, like a capital-T Transitional, is a knife that is just like the original picklock but with a swivel bolster.

The reason that is important is that it means it is a swivel-bolster with the quality of a 50s picklock.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

But, then...wouldn't they have a bayo blade? With all the 50's picklock parts leftover, I would think the first transition would have been the blade.