"No Stamp" Carbon Survivor

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Chris51P

"No Stamp" Carbon Survivor

Post by Chris51P »

Got this "No Stamp" 11" carbon blade about 4 weeks back. Has all nickel silver fittings and very nice horn scales with no issues. Strong snap with no blade movement. This is my second no stamp. I suspect that this one is from the 1950's.
Unstamped 11'' Stiletto #1.jpg
Unstamped 11'' Stiletto #1.jpg (57.32 KiB) Viewed 1999 times
Unstamped 11'' Stiletto #2.jpg
Unstamped 11'' Stiletto #2.jpg (53.56 KiB) Viewed 1999 times
Unstamped 11'' Stiletto #6.jpg
Unstamped 11'' Stiletto #6.jpg (75.39 KiB) Viewed 1999 times
Unstamped 11'' Stiletto #5.jpg
Unstamped 11'' Stiletto #5.jpg (40.18 KiB) Viewed 1999 times
whippersnapper

Re: "No Stamp" Carbon Survivor

Post by whippersnapper »

Nice one!
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

I have been told, (and don't know for certain) that knives destined for the Italian market were frequently unstamped. Hopefully, someone with a greater knowledge about this will chime in.

Jim
Chris51P

Post by Chris51P »

jim d, wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:04 pm I have been told, (and don't know for certain) that knives destined for the Italian market were frequently unstamped. Hopefully, someone with a greater knowledge about this will chime in.

Jim
I’ve heard the same but not sure. I think that it might be the case because exports had to be identifiable.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

jim d, wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:04 pm I have been told, (and don't know for certain) that knives destined for the Italian market were frequently unstamped. Hopefully, someone with a greater knowledge about this will chime in.

Jim
I bought my first switch in Florence, probably 1956. It had a carbon steel blade that had plating on it which over time started to flake off. It had no markings of any kind. It got stolen several years later. I described this knife to a couple of serious collectors when I started out collecting again after a 45 year absence. They also said that knives made for internal consumption were typically unmarked. When stainless became the norm, a stamp was probably applied to all such knives letting the buyer know that he was getting a blade with this "new" material.
thom

Post by thom »

A great knife. Thanks for sharing
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

I bought quite a few knives and misc. parts from someone in Italy who had access to one of the deceased Maniago knife makers. None of the blades were marked.
Chris51P

Post by Chris51P »

Jackalope wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:05 am I bought quite a few knives and misc. parts from someone in Italy who had access to one of the deceased Maniago knife makers. None of the blades were marked.
Do you know which family the knife maker worked with or for? And do you know if it's correct that the unmarked knives were made for the Italian market?
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Beautiful knife Chris!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
TazmanTom

Post by TazmanTom »

Mr. Lope, were the blades already heat treated ? Maybe left soft for different tang marks to be added later depending on vendor ?
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

I believe it was DiBon's shop.

There are knives that were not marked for export. Also, there were some stamped that were not meant for export. One example is the Triangolo so I'm told. Some were stamped and shipped to Germany.

Many stiletto's are found in Argentina with the INOXID stamp. My personal opinion is that after WWII we know that many Nazi's escaped Germany to seek refuge in Argentina. There may have been some Italian knife makers that were Nazi sympathizers or even some radical Fascists. This is just a theory.
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

TazmanTom wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:28 pm Mr. Lope, were the blades already heat treated ? Maybe left soft for different tang marks to be added later depending on vendor ?
I don't know how to tell for sure.
Quaero

Post by Quaero »

Very nice example.