Bonsa leverlock

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Bonsa leverlock

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Answering 2 posts here:
I have heard that SOMETHING is going on at Hubertus. I don't know what.
Any of the chromed Bonsas are hard to find-especially in good condition. They wear out pretty quickly.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Something is going on at Hubertus. I don't know what.
All of the chromed Bonsas are hard to find-especially if the are in good working order. They wear out quickly, but are beautiful knives.

Here are some Bonsa OTFs.
From left:
1. Klaas version of Bonsa OTF (Klaas bought Bonsa)
2. Solwa brand contract Bonsa
3 Very early Bonsa OTF
4 & 5. Standard large Bonsa metal OTFs.
6 & 7. Early plastic handled OTFs.
Attachments
IMG_4630.JPG
IMG_4630.JPG (69.03 KiB) Viewed 1526 times
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Dazzling array of Bonsas Neal and Micky! Below are photos of my chromed out model. As mentioned, they wear out quickly and are prone to blade peek. I'm lucky in that mine doesn't peek and for that reason I don't close it. These knives have ss not ns bolsters, and are not as substantial as the more standard Bonsa leverlocks. What they lack in heft they make up for with the cool rear soccer ball rear tang stamp. Come to think of it, I'm not sure all have the soccer themed stamp. Another thing I noticed is that mine has a "piano wire" type kickspring that is not filed flat where it contacts the blade.
Jim
IMG_0511 (2).JPG
IMG_0511 (2).JPG (185.49 KiB) Viewed 1499 times
IMG_0512 (2).JPG
IMG_0512 (2).JPG (195.56 KiB) Viewed 1499 times
IMG_0514 (2).JPG
IMG_0514 (2).JPG (251.18 KiB) Viewed 1499 times
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Jim,
The only stainless in these knives is the blades.
The entire handles are made of soft zinc, that is chrome plated.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Thanks for the info Micky - it hadn't occurred to me that the bolsters wouldn't actually be stainless, but I did sense something odd about them - now I know.

Jim
Quaero

Post by Quaero »

Thanks Jim, and your metal Bonsa is in wonderful condition.
The metal Bonsas are quirky and not the best quality autos out there, but they do have a neat funky vibe to them.
TazmanTom

Post by TazmanTom »

I'll take the little clip blade one on the left. LOL I have it with a bayo blade, but almost a dagger profile. I also have the same knife with no markings, any ideas on the "generic one? Tom
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Tom - I don't know for sure but given that Bonsa made knives for others, and given the tooling needed to make a specific model, if your unstamped sample looks to be like the one in the photo my semi-educated guess is that it was made by Bonsa.

Jim
TazmanTom

Post by TazmanTom »

Thanks Jim, figured as much. There is only a slight difference in color of the scales, both white "cracked ice" ish. Otherwise identicle.