Recent Fulcrum Release

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
button_man

Re: Recent Fulcrum Release

Post by button_man »

( I accidentally posted this twice, and can't figure out how to completely delete one of the posts.... after you hit the EDIT button, then what? )
Last edited by button_man on Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
button_man

Post by button_man »

I recently obtained several of the Walther SOK 2 knives, which also have an external lever/fulcrum release.
I would be interested to see any other odd release systems that others have encountered...!
Attachments
Walther_SOK_2__O_open__c.jpg
Walther_SOK_2__O_open__c.jpg (205.52 KiB) Viewed 2174 times
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

button_man wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:36 pm I recently obtained several of the Walther SOK 2 knives, which also have an external lever/fulcrum release.
I would be interested to see any other odd release systems that others have encountered...!
I have been looking to buy one of these. How is the quality?
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

Don't all of the 60's fulcrum release knives have swedge blades?
button_man

Post by button_man »

Jackalope wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:25 am
button_man wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:36 pm I recently obtained several of the Walther SOK 2 knives, which also have an external lever/fulcrum release.
I have been looking to buy one of these. How is the quality?
The fit and finish seem very good. The blade is quite slender --I have temporarily misplaced my calipers; if I find them I'll measure the thickness and post it here-- but then I find that a lot of modern knives have thinner blades than I like. The knife does NOT look or feel cheap or tinny or flimsy. There is no country of manufacture on either the knife or the box; and given the low price, I suspect that these are not being painstakingly hand-crafted by elves deep in the Harz mountains. Walther has probably contracted out manufacture and/or assembly. But it's a nice little knife for the price, and I think you'll be satisfied. Its unique appearance will certainly spark conversation the next time you casually click it open to helpfully snip a loose thread from Lady Throckmorton's gown at the Embassy dinner.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

A couple years ago I think I got 8. They had just showed up on the scene and I ordered from a dealer in Germany. It was before they were more easily available. I sold most of them to members here. Quality isn't the best imo, but probably worth the 40 bucks, or whatever, they cost. I'm not sure but the button always looked plastic to me. I never scratched it or tried to put a magnet on it to test but I just didn't like the look.

Back then Germany was the only place I could find them. Since than I have seen them with other blade markings---So I suspect they aren't German knives. Probably Asian like everything else.

They were a little different so I wanted to check them out, but I wasn't really impressed enough to even keep one for myself.
Quaero

Post by Quaero »

Very nice original knife shown along with an interesting "Walther" model.
Enclosed is an "M. Italy" fulcrum release with stag handles and a bayonet blade.
Attachments
Maniago M Italy Stag Fulcrum (1200x789).jpg
Maniago M Italy Stag Fulcrum (1200x789).jpg (336.9 KiB) Viewed 2124 times
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Terry, I always liked the little "Walther's" you were nice enough to go through the trouble it was at the time for us. Even though we now see all the different markings (Even Bill's name under Leverletto), I still feel, somehow, that ours are "original" lol.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Quaero wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:32 am Enclosed is an "M. Italy" fulcrum release with stag handles and a bayonet blade.
That's another beautiful fulcrum piece!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Chris51P

Post by Chris51P »

Quaero wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:32 am Very nice original knife shown along with an interesting "Walther" model.
Enclosed is an "M. Italy" fulcrum release with stag handles and a bayonet blade.
Very nice. I really like those stag scales.
Quaero

Post by Quaero »

Thanks, JulesVane and Chris. The fulcrums are a clever and interesting blade release type mechanism.
button_man

Post by button_man »

whippersnapper wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:35 pm Quality isn't the best imo, but probably worth the 40 bucks, or whatever, they cost. I'm not sure but the button always looked plastic to me. I never scratched it or tried to put a magnet on it to test but I just didn't like the look.

They were a little different so I wanted to check them out, but I wasn't really impressed enough to even keep one for myself.
We've all seen knives costing hundreds of dollars that nevertheless have quality issues. For the price I paid for this, I am satisfied with the quality. I'm not going to pay $60 for a knife and then complain because it doesn't meet the same standards as a Microtech. You get what you pay for, and I don't think this little knife shortchanges you. Yes, the deployment button is plastic, but so what? My Engelhard hammers have synthetic grips instead of the stacked-leather grips that you would see on tools a hundred years ago, but they are still the best hammers out there. I'm not trying to start a rhubarb here or anything.... I just think that regardless of where it was made, the knife is put together pretty well and I am satisfied with it.
button_man

Post by button_man »

Dammit, I meant "Estwing" ... not Engelhard. This is what I get for posting at 5:30 am with no coffee
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

m i front.jpg
m i front.jpg (109.24 KiB) Viewed 2068 times
There's a lever release in this group with a bayo. and one with a kris.
Chris51P

Post by Chris51P »

fastr19 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:53 pm m i front.jpg
There's a lever release in this group with a bayo. and one with a kris.
Very nice grouping. Let me know if you ever get tired of the fulcrum release knives. I think I know someone that would like to have them.