Can anyone recommend a good kitchen knife?

This is a forum for discussion on professional kitchen knives and accessories. This forum is sponsored by Due Buoi.

Moderators: natcherly, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
PetterJhon

Can anyone recommend a good kitchen knife?

Post by PetterJhon »

Hello everyone,,
I've heard the adage, "Take what you would spend on a set of kitchen knives, then spend that amount on one good kitchen knife."

That being said, I have no idea what to look for and googling around seems like I only find the most popular brands, not necessarily the best knife. I also have no idea how much a good knife can cost, although in some shops I've seen knives upwards of $1000USD. My budget isn't nearly that high, around $200USD.

Can anyone recommend a good, single knife? Or perhaps a website / store where I could find one?

PS - First time posting here, so if this is outside the rules of the sub or not in keeping with the theme I apologize!
whippersnapper

Re: Can anyone recommend a good kitchen knife?

Post by whippersnapper »

For a basic chefs knife that won't break the bank I recommend Victorinox Fibrox Pro 8" or 10" Chef's Knife. I own a couple and like them.
https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Fibro ... 7486&psc=1
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

We have some German made J. A. Henckels knives we like a lot. The 10" chefs knife especially. We also have a couple of carbon steel models, a skinner and boning knife. Got these from my grandmother when she passed. These must be over 100 years old at this point but perform beautifully.

J. A. Henckels have an "International" line made in, you guessed it, China. Don't know anything about those, but they are a lot cheaper in cost. Quality I cannot opine.
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

The original Ginsu. :lol:
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

i have 2 knives i use : 1 is a old 10'' carbon steel blade i believe it's from the '20s holds a great edge. i use it for everything from chopping frozen meat to slicing tomatoes.#2 is a smaller carbon steel mora#1 with a scandi grind, thats all i need.
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
Jim_mi

Post by Jim_mi »

Look at Shinichi Watanabe's website. He makes very nice kitchen knives at a reasonable price. His carbon steel knives are the sharpest, but he also makes knives of stainless steel if you're looking for easy maintenance - and they are still very sharp.
Jim

http://www.kitchen-knife.jp/
john

Post by john »

I’d like to get my son a nice set of kitchen knives he moved out just a few months ago. I’ll be checking a few sites out.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Just today I ordered a set of J.A. Henckles kitchen knives. Do a search for Zwilling and go to their site. They have a tremendous sale going on. I bought a 15 piece set of forged German knives and it didn't break the bank.

Funny thing, what happened is that my wife mentioned that as much as I like knives, we don't have any good kitchen knives, just an odd assortment of not so good ones. I told her that the situation would be rectified :D

Jim
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

We use Victorinox knives here.
Older Sabatier for the big stuff.
Ontario also makes good knives.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

The Ontario ("Old Hickory") line is both excellent and affordable. Look up the entire line on Amazon and buy a few. Keep them clean, dry, lightly oiled, and sharp. Trust me, you'll be a happy camper.
Fishtail Picklock
SchwarzStock

Post by SchwarzStock »

I realize this thread is over two years old......

I was always a big fan on Henkells (Zwilling) but struggled to keep them sharp. At the conclusion of the great division the Henkells remained in Arizona. When I was ready to replace them I did a lot of research online and also spoke with a lot of friends. One of these friends is a Master Baker (BaekerMeister) and he recommended "Burgvogel". In the US I believe they are sold as "Castle Bird" knives. I have had them now almost 4 years and I am very pleased. This is the collection in my block.
Burgvogel.jpg
Burgvogel.jpg (897.39 KiB) Viewed 14198 times
buzdar

Post by buzdar »

One highly recommended kitchen knife is the Shun Classic 8-Inch Chef's Knife. This knife is known for its exceptional sharpness, balance, and durability. It features a VG-MAX stainless steel blade that retains its edge well and has a comfortable and ergonomic handle made of PakkaWood. The Shun Classic Chef's Knife is versatile and suitable for a wide range of kitchen tasks.
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

I have a couple of Huusk knives that I like very much. They have several styles. High carbon steel and wickedly sharp out of the box. Also take their edge back with a kitchen steel very well.
boots

Post by boots »

A common carbon steel knife will work best, easy to sharpen, most high-end knives are made with steel that's impossible to sharpen.