Il Punto, The Point, by DoubleD Knives

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
KabirRaut

Post by KabirRaut »

Hello everyone,,
Presented for your interest and edification: Il Punto, the first ever from DoubleD Knives. If you wondered where I was headed when I wrote the post "Prioletta Retrospective" viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24662 ... well, now you know what I was leading up to. The post you are reading now might have been called "Prioletta 2017", because that's the concept. What would a modern version of a Prioletta look like? I took some of the cues from the historical knives, and some things that I liked from other knives in my experience and put them together in a 14" nominal bayonet. Along the way a few details changed because Duke suggested a better approach.

Duke (username: knifemaker44) and I are of a like mind in many things, for example, the slender and sinister look of the vintage, narrow knives. We like sturdy rocker mechanisms, exposed or concealed. While we can build safeties, typically we don't. Also, Duke kids that he has 'sausage fingers' so we're probably staying at the high side of 11" and not dealing with mini's. On my side of the equation are dozens of knives, all extant only in my CAD files, and shared with only a few close friends, if at all. Duke brings his experience of nearly three decades of fixed blade building to his new love of switchblades. To reduce the confusion between us, we've given each design a nickname. As the knives are built, we will show the designs. It's my intention to offer the designs freely to anyone who wants to tackle them. On Duke's side, advice and responses to building questions are also free. If you want to go the route of commissioning something from DoubleD, ask. But do please realize that's not our first consideration; we aren't trying to feed our families from this. We are simply doing what we love to do. Duke doesn't need a another customer, per se, because he is building for me.

The knife arrived on a cloudy Saturday, and I had to resort to artificial lighting. I apologize for the picture quality; I'll have to reshoot when the weather is more cooperative. It weights 10.8 oz. or 307 g. The overall length, as appropriate, is 14-1/8" (35,9 cm) with 6-7/16" (16,4 cm) of blade, and exactly 5/8" (15,8 mm) at the ricasso. The blade, springs, and rockers are made from 5/32" (4 mm) 1095 steel. The bolsters are 416 stainless and the liners are .06" (1,5 mm) 410 stainless. It uses a 5/32" steel pivot, while all other pins are 3/32" (2,4 mm) NS. The scales are stabilized giraffe bone.
thom

Re: Il Punto, The Point, by DoubleD Knives

Post by thom »

Dying to see pictures.
john

Post by john »

Photos Please
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

I think I have some pictures of this knife but should probably get Dave or KabirRaut’s permission to post them ..
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I believe this guy is a fruit case and I seriously doubt he knows Duke or Dave...No time to search but I'm sure this is just a copy and paste of one of Daves early posts....
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

whippersnapper wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:57 pm I believe this guy is a fruit case and I seriously doubt he knows Duke or Dave...No time to search but I'm sure this is just a copy and paste of one of Daves early posts....
Agreed!
2024 candidate for president
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Me three ... He ain't even smart enough to cut and paste correctly so it would have had the pictures.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
john

Post by john »

Dave’s aka ILS original post:
viewtopic.php?t=24689
Mar 04, 2017 6:29 it’s a copy and paste job and it is poor done. The thread is longer and has a lot of photos.
Last edited by john on Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Natcherly banned him earlier.