Another Havlin

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
thom

Another Havlin

Post by thom »

On the left is a 13" Square button Havlin in Brazilian Horn and Kris blade. Best knife I own. Fit, finish and action are second to none. The knife on right is probably the best modern production knife made. 13" Renzo Pascoto Wasp Body. The fit, finish and action are equal to the Havlin. I actually like the horn better on the RP.
Thom
JulesVane

Re: Another Havlin

Post by JulesVane »

Beauties Thom!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Damn nice!
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Both are gorgeous and you and I are both intimately familiar with both Master builders. I actually prefer the lighter scales on the PLP, but that's like saying I like redheads and you like blondes! I'm certain Lucio DiBon provided the scales for both knives. The RP has hundreds of years of tradition behind it and a bit more blade to handle. The PLP is homage to that tradition, and a uncompromising quest for quality in material and execution from a guy decades more energetic. Age is a big factor, at least from my perspective on the calendar. RP has probably built that knife thousands of times and has sets of parts to pick up and fit. The PLP is one perfectly hand built knife from scratch. Is it any surprise that it cost quadruple RP's price? We're talking McLaren to Corvette here, and both are scary fast. If this were Olympic scoring both would be 10's for performance, but RP would only get 8 for difficulty of maneuver. I like Pat's tab shape better, the thicker liners (stainless? To RP's brass????) and his more slender profile (again redheads and blondes.) Bravo, to your taste, Thom. Bravo to both superb cutlers who always create works of wonder, true masterpieces. I'd quip for you to leave them to me in your will, but you're more likely to inherit mine. Bless you, sir, and thanks for sharing.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
sprink

Post by sprink »

Both are very nice pieces, a PLP is on my wishlist along with a Burn piece, thanks for sharing.
thom

Post by thom »

ILikeStilettos wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:07 am Both are gorgeous and you and I are both intimately familiar with both Master builders. I actually prefer the lighter scales on the PLP, but that's like saying I like redheads and you like blondes! I'm certain Lucio DiBon provided the scales for both knives. The RP has hundreds of years of tradition behind it and a bit more blade to handle. The PLP is homage to that tradition, and a uncompromising quest for quality in material and execution from a guy decades more energetic. Age is a big factor, at least from my perspective on the calendar. RP has probably built that knife thousands of times and has sets of parts to pick up and fit. The PLP is one perfectly hand built knife from scratch. Is it any surprise that it cost quadruple RP's price? We're talking McLaren to Corvette here, and both are scary fast. If this were Olympic scoring both would be 10's for performance, but RP would only get 8 for difficulty of maneuver. I like Pat's tab shape better, the thicker liners (stainless? To RP's brass????) and his more slender profile (again redheads and blondes.) Bravo, to your taste, Thom. Bravo to both superb cutlers who always create works of wonder, true masterpieces. I'd quip for you to leave them to me in your will, but you're more likely to inherit mine. Bless you, sir, and thanks for sharing.
Dave, I agree on all your statements but one. The RP's are damn near the same price.
BTW. I like blondes and red heads.
Last edited by thom on Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Absolutely beautiful knives Thom.... 8)

LOve the horn on both of them and would love to own either.

Congrats on them both ...stunning!
tedmen

Post by tedmen »

thom wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:18 pm On the left is a 13" Square button Havlin in Brazilian Horn and Kris blade. Best knife I own. Fit, finish and action are second to none. The knife on right is probably the best modern production knife made. 13" Renzo Pascoto Wasp Body. The fit, finish and action are equal to the Havlin. I actually like the horn better on the RP.
Thom
Not sure if it's the photo but I love how narrow the neck is on the Havlin Kris.. sleeker than the modern versions.