Left handed sear help

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
bunkyz52

Left handed sear help

Post by bunkyz52 »

Hello everyone. Once again I've been in the hospital with an unhappy heart but, lol, I refuse to give up. Now that I'm back home I'd like to get some stuff finished but I'm afraid I'm gonna need some help. I started a present for my wife a few months ago that I call Ebony and Ivory. It's a back to back double with one side having ebony scales with an ivory button and the other side ivory scales and ebony button. I made an attempt to post a pix and I hope it worked. I'm down to the finishing touches but the last part I need is a left hand sear. Sorry to say I'm not gonna be able to make one cause for some reason my hands have started shaking and both of the two I've attempted to make haven't turned out to be usable. If there's anyone out there who either has one or is willing to make me one I'll gladly pay for your help. This is probably going to be my last build but it's the most important one I've ever done. If you can help me please contact me by either a post or my email (bunkyz52@comcast.net). Thanks in advance and happy building :D
Attachments
Ebony & Ivory
Ebony & Ivory
20190320_143902_compress24.jpg (418.32 KiB) Viewed 5308 times
Happy collecting/building to one and all. :D
JimBrown257

Re: Left handed sear help

Post by JimBrown257 »

If you are using pre-made pieces, your best option is to find a normal (right-handed) piece with a longer than normal sear. Then cut the ramped part off and put a new ramp going the other way (so it is now left-handed). You can get a little more sear length if you file the liner down where the button sits on it and file the ring part of the button's arm down. Be careful not to take too much off of either as they are load bearing parts.
bunkyz52

Post by bunkyz52 »

Hello, thanks for your quick reply. Yes, I'm using the USA made sear from SwitchbladeKits.com. I've already modified two RH sears by using the trim at the opposite bevel method. Both are close but come up short and I end up with a hair trigger. I've also channeled out the liner under the sear to increase the depth of the sear into the hole in the blade and still end up with a hair trigger. Both methods should work but for some reason aren't. I've tried everything I know to try to this point. Lol, at one time I would have simply removed the penetration pin at the bend, reversed it and tig welded it back on and "problem solved " but I'm sorry to say because of health issues, shaky hands and being half blind that's not possible anymore.I thoroughly agree with your suggestions and know they work but under the circumstances it looks like my best bet is to pay somebody to to make one. Thank you so much for your help and ideas.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

That is a good idea. If you could anneal the sear piece, bend it upwards, then bend the body to have the right shape, then heat treat it, that should work. If you want, I can try to make one of those for you.
bunkyz52

Post by bunkyz52 »

Hello again "JB257". If you could make one for me I would be extremely grateful. Of course I will compensate you for your time and trouble, I wouldn't feel right if I didn't. Honestly right now I can't physically do it and it's gonna be at least a couple weeks before I can do much of anything. Luckily I'll be able to do a lot of the final assembly right here on the bed. Just let me know how things go and we can work out the details later. Thanks again for your concern. If you want you can contact me by email. I think I posted it earlier. I'll be talking to you soon. Lol, it's 1:30 here and it's my bedtime. If I don't get some rest I'll regret it tomorrow. Have a great night. :D
bunkyz52

Post by bunkyz52 »

Hello everyone, I decided to give JB257's suggestion a try but I'm not having any luck. I've destroyed two perfectly good RH Sears in the process so I think I'll call it quits. Lol, my mother used to tell me you'll never know if you don't try. I've often wondered why no one makes a left hand. I bet with all the people out there who are left handed they'd sell out in a flash. Happy building :D
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I have made several left handed knives several using real Italian parts.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
bunkyz52

Post by bunkyz52 »

Hello Mr DeShivs, thank you for responding. I've tried altering Italian parts as well as American and every result has been the same. I've also channeled out under the sear to increase the depth of the pin and end up with a hair trigger or no hold at all. Maybe I'm missing something. I'm open to any and all suggestions. I must say your work is impeccable and I consider it an honor to talk switches with you. Thanks again
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

There is no difference in a left and right handed sear, you just have to mount to the other liner and put the sear hole in the other side of the blade, or drill the hole all the way through the blade.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Incorrect, Dave.
There has to be an angle on the sear to clear the spring and blade.
That angle is exactly the opposite on a left-handed knife.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

bunkyz52 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:35 am Hello again "JB257". If you could make one for me I would be extremely grateful.
Hey, sorry I missed your response the other day. I will try to reverse one. If it works you can have it.

I'm not having any luck. I've destroyed two perfectly good RH Sears in the process
Did you heat it up before bending the sear back?
bunkyz52

Post by bunkyz52 »

Hi JB257, yes I did. Hard to describe but to an orange color. Like I was bending a piece of round rod. I guess not enough
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Did they break or did they just become completely mangled when you tried to bend them back?
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:44 pm I have made several left handed knives several using real Italian parts.
How did you make the sear work as a leftie? Did you bend it 180 degrees or did you just make the sear fall down farther and file the sear to go the other way?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

No bend- just filed and milled the liner a little.