Re: Repair Markings

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

wicollector wrote:a few years ago I was sent a whole collection of Latama Flatguards by and well known knife auction owner just because he didn't want them marked only lightly cleaned....
Not sure "lightly cleaned" qualifies as a restoration or even repair. Of course some patina may be lost, but if the process stops corrosion, it is preservation in my book. I'm sure others will have something to say about this :mrgreen:
wicollector

Re: Re: Repair Markings

Post by wicollector »

natcherly wrote:Marking repaired things is not unusual. Watch makers doing repairs usually put some identifying mark on the movement. That is to indicate that they have done work on the particular piece in the past were it to be brought to them again. It most likely also tells another watch maker / repairer that the movement has had work done on it previously.

As long as the mark is not obtrusive and given the trend these days toward full disclosure, transparency, etc. I see no harm in this practice. Quite the contrary.
I thought they did it to keep track of when it was last cleaned ? its so tiny and lightly scratch in the cover with a pin it could be easily be buffed off on the watches I own it's nothing like driving deep dots stamped into the metal or using a pencil engraver to add your name and date .
Attachments
thumbnail_Bill%20DeShives%20markings.jpg
thumbnail_Bill%20DeShives%20markings.jpg (83.97 KiB) Viewed 1314 times
Last edited by wicollector on Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
wicollector

Post by wicollector »

natcherly wrote:
wicollector wrote:a few years ago I was sent a whole collection of Latama Flatguards by and well known knife auction owner just because he didn't want them marked only lightly cleaned....
Not sure "lightly cleaned" qualifies as a restoration or even repair. Of course some patina may be lost, but if the process stops corrosion, it is preservation in my book. I'm sure others will have something to say about this :mrgreen:
I did what I was asked to do on my customer knives I personally dont clean any of my collection because this is the way I want them to be nothing hidden by cleaning so no need to wonder what real condition they were in . the point of me answering was not about the cleaning but that they were sent here as not to be marked with dots on the liners if they were sent else ware .
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Re: Repair Markings

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I think you have made your point.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.