Best quality Italian switchblade

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
SwitchGear

Best quality Italian switchblade

Post by SwitchGear »

If a I were looking for the best quality Italian switchblade , what would I be looking for?

New or old, we’re talking the best.

By quality I’m talking fit, finish, lock up, grinds, materials.

My 1st (Modern) Latama is in the mail as we speak.

I’ve owned most of the main big players AKC- Beltrame-AGA....

I just don’t want to overlook anything.

Thanks
Corvus

Re: Best quality Italian switchblade

Post by Corvus »

Short of buying an expensive custom by someone like Pat Havlin, the vintage picklocks of the '40s and '50s have the best build quality in my experience, but unless you're very lucky, you'll pay dearly for one in excellent mechanical and cosmetic condition. The best modern Italian stilettos are probably the AGA 10" picklocks from around 2012 to 2016. The Walt's Classics are very good too, especially the earlier ones, but I've experienced some hit and miss quality issues with the latter.

Edited to add that the so-called "transitional" swivel bolster stilettos from the early sixties can be right up there with the '50s picklocks in terms of build quality, and they can be had for a somewhat more reasonable price. As with all vintage knives, it's best to 'read the knife' rather than the tang stamp or the seller's story. There are some damn fine old stilettos out there with either a generic inox or rostfrei, (etc.) stamp, or no stamp at all.
SwitchGear

Post by SwitchGear »

Thanks Corvus-
I’ll be keeping my eyes open!
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Corvus wrote:... The best modern Italian stilettos are probably the AGA 10" picklocks from around 2012 to 2016...
Totally agree! They are very well built and have the feel of one from the golden age, post WW2 until the '58 ban. The 10" size is a winner. More heft than the 9" and more handy than the 11". Why this size is not made more often is a mystery to me. These were actually first made by Renzo Pascotto. This is how it worked. He would build a prototype for AGA, and if they liked it, he would either make an entire run for them or provide parts for them to assemble. As part of the deal, Renzo would be permitted to sell some of his knives with his tang stamp rather than that of AGA. This scenario has been used several times by AGA to keep their product line fresh.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

I agree with the previous posts completely. It depends on what you mean by "Italian" There is the purist definition meaning made in Italy, then there is there is the Italian styled switchblade. If you are looking for the best of the best then as described, custom is the way to go.

Jim
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

Burn makes wonderful stilettos though they aren't Italian.
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
boblees812

Post by boblees812 »

(By quality I’m talking fit, finish, lock up, grinds, materials) Pat Havlin is the best as far as fit & finish , Lock up , Grinds , & Materials & Very strong SNAP. PLP is the best out there
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Pat Havlin- the best.
Period.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Maltese flatguard

Post by Maltese flatguard »

Find yourself a mint 1880s “S Coop, Manaigo” or a
1880s “G. Bet” Maltese flat guard and you’ll throw away all your other knives.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Show us pictures!
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Yes, pictures please.

Jim
kugr

Post by kugr »

One day I would love to add a Burn to my collection.... ooooo, so lovely....
Looking for those un-repairable, lost cause stilettos.
Maltese flatguard

Bill DeShivs wrote:Show us pictures!
Did you buy the new Italian book “Antico Coltelli a scatto” by Paolo A? If you did open it up to see all the wonderful treasures inside. :)
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Maltese flatguard wrote:
Bill DeShivs wrote:Show us pictures!
Did you buy the new Italian book “Antico Coltelli a scatto” by Paolo A? If you did open it up to see all the wonderful treasures inside. :)
So...you want me to throw away all my other knives and place the book in my display cases? I have the book, but better keep my knives lol. I thought you HAD the knives you mentioned above.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Maltese flatguard

jim d, wrote:Yes, pictures please.

Jim
Do you have Art Of The Switchblade or the new Italian books? Inside those two are phenomenal pieces.