I don’t get it...

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
portlandmike

I don’t get it...

Post by portlandmike »

I paid just about the same for each of these knives. The one on the left is a custom-made knife. The one on the right is a newish Campolin. The knife on the left has flush pins and a smooth handle, feels great in the hand. The knife on the right had high ROUGH pins, lots of rough edges, a banana blade, creaks and groans and the whole handle kinda expands when closing.. it feels like a piece of junk. So, it’s obviously possible to make a quality product for a reasonable price. Why aren’t the Italians being held to a higher level of quality control? I also have a new Latama with one pin that sticks out like a sore thumb. Why isn’t a competing company stepping in with a better product for the same or lower price? Just my thoughts tonight...
Attachments
D8EB08E8-A7E5-414E-9447-4172BADC535F.jpeg
D8EB08E8-A7E5-414E-9447-4172BADC535F.jpeg (90.1 KiB) Viewed 1770 times
8A6BA614-CA29-4CB8-A179-C19048A36424.jpeg
8A6BA614-CA29-4CB8-A179-C19048A36424.jpeg (55.04 KiB) Viewed 1770 times
Luke_of_Mass

Re: I don’t get it...

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

---->Wave of people making excuses for Maniago's shotty QC incoming...
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

Quality control on Italian knives has been lacking for many years and I have owned several stilettos through the years that had safeties that did not work. Having said that, the knives of the 1950s which were of high quality, did not have flush pins, either. There are still some decent Italian knives out there and I am happy with the two leverlettos I recently bought. Hubertus leverlocks also are not the quality they could be and the kick springs often break.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

If you think Italian quality is bad now, you should have seen it in the 1990s!
I think your AGA Campolin was made by Renzo Pascotto. He's getting up in years.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Jay Blade

Post by Jay Blade »

Bill DeShivs wrote:If you think Italian quality is bad now, you should have seen it in the 1990s!
I think your AGA Campolin was made by Renzo Pascotto. He's getting up in years.
That much worse back then?
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

I haven't bought any Italians in a while but sometimes you get a good one and sometimes you get them with a lot of flaws. Best if you can handle one before you buy it if possible.
2024 candidate for president
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

There was a time, many years ago, when another cutler and I used to buy rejects and returns by the box full. Some were quite pitiful.
The makers in Maniago were resistant to change. They made stilettos one way. They were novelty items, and were produced as cheaply and quickly as possible.
Mickey Beltrame of SKM was one of the first to try to get at least one maker to up his game-but not until Angelo Campolin, Jr. visited the US and saw personally the market, did real change come. He listened, and began production of quality items. He also ordered knives from other makers in quantity built to his specifications. To this day, most AKC/AGA/Falcon knives are higher quality.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.