False button?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Re: False button?

Post by natcherly »

Bill DeShivs wrote:I think the 1960s knives are what they are- the closest thing to switchblades you could get. At some point, they may be collectible.
I sure hope so. I've got two 13" false buttons, both of which are built like a proverbial brick s#|+ house. They are as massive and as well made as the 13" golden age pre-ban switches from Maniago.

The only spring to break is the one under the button :lol:
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I will say they are now collectible !! The false button models command fairly high prices over normal lock backs. Natcherly can you post a picture of yours? I like them!! FYI the lock placement on these is the standard location for these. Hump Backs had the lock release midway on the back of the knife not the bottom like the common lock backs....
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

Bill DeShivs wrote:It's done, except for a little laser welding on the sear hole. Unfortunately the laser welder is down for repairs. As soon as it's back up or replaced, I'll finish it up.
Sounds good... Thank you Bill

Mike
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

The false button models were designed in the late 1950s and patented by Elso Mauro (the Mauro Mario group). I’m surprised the experts here didn’t know but I suppose that’s par for the course. :lol:

This model here is a little later because it also employs the lockback mechanism...patented in 1961.
Italian and USA Doctorate in Cutlery Research, PHD
Italian and USA Masters in Cutlery Research, PHD
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

A little less smart-ass, ok Orangboy?
Otherwise, thank you for your input.
I believe the lockback patent was issued to Angelo Campolin, Sr. I'm sure Orangboy will correct me if I'm wrong.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

Bill DeShivs wrote:A little less smart-ass, ok Orangboy?
Otherwise, thank you for your input.
I believe the lockback patent was issued to Angelo Campolin, Sr. I'm sure Orangboy will correct me if I'm wrong.
No ones name were ever mentioned at all. And if it’s true that the lockback was patented by Angelo Campolin Sr...due credit should be given to whomeever found out that info. When people parrot info and never cite the source it’s pretty sad.

Tim Zinser (aka Ragtime Red) stole 95% of the graphics he used for Switchblades of Italy from two different books made in Italy which were copyrighted against any unauthorized use and he never once gave credit in Switchblades of Italy nor ever mentioned those two books ever. Pretty sad...
Last edited by orangeboy on Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Tom19176 wrote:I will say they are now collectible !! The false button models command fairly high prices over normal lock backs. Natcherly can you post a picture of yours? I like them!!
OK here are some pictures as you requested!
20190205_102202_resized.jpg
20190205_102202_resized.jpg (753.8 KiB) Viewed 2643 times
20190205_102358_resized.jpg
20190205_102358_resized.jpg (784.28 KiB) Viewed 2643 times
20190205_102431_resized.jpg
20190205_102431_resized.jpg (616.48 KiB) Viewed 2643 times
20190205_102446_resized.jpg
20190205_102446_resized.jpg (845.77 KiB) Viewed 2643 times
20190205_102506_resized.jpg
20190205_102506_resized.jpg (519.68 KiB) Viewed 2643 times
john

Post by john »

If you have the extra cash, certainly, hire one of the pros and have it converted into an auto. However, you may want to consider doing it yourself. With the advice and guidance of our professionals on this website you should be able to get through it.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

Those are gorgeous and in such great shape... so strange to see the locking tab without a hole. Thanks for sharing those !

Mike
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

I didn't notice that, how do they lock up then?
2024 candidate for president
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

sammy the blade wrote:I didn't notice that, how do they lock up then?
These do not have locking pins, thus there are no holes in the lock tab. The blades do not "lock" open as you would find in other old and new stilettos. Only the friction of the cut out part of the blade against the lock tab keeps these open. Not very positive or secure. Why they did not use the lock pin & tab method is a mystery to me. If I were to use one of these for the purpose intended, i.e. stabbing something, I would not feel comfortable. I would worry that in all the excitement, the blade would close against my fingers. Ouch! :cry:
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

natcherly wrote:
These do not have locking pins, thus there are no holes in the lock tab. The blades do not "lock" open as you would find in other old and new stilettos. Only the friction of the cut out part of the blade against the lock tab keeps these open. Not very positive or secure. Why they did not use the lock pin & tab method is a mystery to me. If I were to use one of these for the purpose intended, i.e. stabbing something, I would not feel comfortable. I would worry that in all the excitement, the blade would close against my fingers. Ouch! :cry:

They didn’t use the lock pin because that was a Mauro Mario patent as well.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

orangeboy wrote:
natcherly wrote:
How could Mauro Mario obtain a patent for something like a lock pin that had been in use for many years before Mauro Mario even existed?
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

natcherly wrote:
orangeboy wrote:
natcherly wrote: These do not have locking pins, thus there are no holes in the lock tab. The blades do not "lock" open as you would find in other old and new stilettos. Only the friction of the cut out part of the blade against the lock tab keeps these open. Not very positive or secure. Why they did not use the lock pin & tab method is a mystery to me. If I were to use one of these for the purpose intended, i.e. stabbing something, I would not feel comfortable. I would worry that in all the excitement, the blade would close against my fingers. Ouch! :cry:
How could Mauro Mario obtain a patent for something like a lock pin that had been in use for many years before Mauro Mario even existed?
You tell me? Possibly it was easy to get a utility patent for a new design in Italy not used before on a stiletto?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

You do realize there were two co-authors of SOI? Why are you just accusing Tim? Because he's dead? Accusing people of theft is pretty serious.
Whether that's true or not, generally a European copyright is not enforceable outside of Europe.
Do you disseminate any information from those two "secret" books?
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.