I'm confused about this auction

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
kugr

I'm confused about this auction

Post by kugr »

Ok, I've been passing over looking at this because of the stainless pins. I was under the impression that true italians used brass pins... the price keeps skyrocketing... Will a more knowledgeable person please correct my assumption, and maybe tell me why this one is so "desired"
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Italian-Stilet ... ondition=4
Looking for those un-repairable, lost cause stilettos.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: I'm confused about this auction

Post by Bill DeShivs »

No, you aren't confused. The fools that are bidding on that Chinese piece of crap are confused.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
kugr

Post by kugr »

Whew, thank you for the clarification.
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

Wow.. it’s sad to see people spending that kind of money on a $12 piece of ****. You can buy a pretty nice knife for $150 bucks ..
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Lol, you're not confused. The eight bidders are the confused ones. It's not just the steel scale pins; the shapeless top bolster, the too large hole and too wide safety slot are all signs of a Chinese knock-off. Also, while some Italian knives do have a "stainless" stamp, it is very often a sign of an Asian knife.

What is really weird is that while the bids are over $160, if you scroll down a little bit, there are some just like it with a Buy Now of $23.
john

Post by john »

I think it was WC Fields who said there’s a sucker born every day or every minute something like that.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

john wrote:I think it was WC Fields who said there’s a sucker born every day or every minute something like that.
LOL!...It may have been P.T. Barnum, but regardless, how true! lol...some folks just refuse to be outbid.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
kugr

Post by kugr »

That thing sold for 255.00... wow... welp, glad you guys were around so I could learn and not a mistake like that.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

kugr wrote:That thing sold for 255.00... wow... welp, glad you guys were around so I could learn and not a mistake like that.
...Looks like the potential fool (I mean, buyer) woke up and possibly didn't pay the $255. Unless it's another knife with the same exact scratch on it from the same seller...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Italian-Stilet ... rk:22:pf:0

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Here is another one that someone is going to overpay for:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-collec ... 1438.l2649
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

...Is that even an auto with that long nail nick?

Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The Rosco is a manual that has been converted to auto.
Probably one of Nemo's crank jobs.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

The brass pivot makes me think it probably is. I don't know what to make of that backspring, though. I don't think I've ever seen a Japanese stiletto with a fulcrum or ring.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

I was looking at the bids for the original listing of the Chinese stiletto. You can see the highest bidder was an unregistered user:
https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/19278 ... 7675.l2565

You see that a lot with the unexplainably high bid item. I would guess that fake user is either one of the bidders using a fake account because they lost interest and didn't want to end up paying. Or it could be a fake account of the seller who was trying to bump up the top bid but then went too high and accidentally won the auction.

I'd guess it was the seller's fake account because you can see that he tried to bump it up past $50 earlier in the bidding.