Rizutto repair experts, looking for some knowledge...

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
kugr

Rizutto repair experts, looking for some knowledge...

Post by kugr »

Evening folks, I'm seeking some knowledge on how to get a couple things worked out on a rizutto I picked up.
1st- I know its roughly 1/8" music wire for the spring, I have some on the way. What is the approximate length and shape of bend for it?

2nd- is there any way to fix the wallowed hole on the blade?

3rd- it seems the button/latch has become disconnected, is it possible for a beginner like me to fix?

Looking for those un-repairable, lost cause stilettos.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Rizutto repair experts, looking for some knowledge...

Post by Bill DeShivs »

That knife needs far more than a spring. If everything else was right, 1/8" music wire would rip it apart.
The sear holes are destroyed, bolster missing?, button pin backed out (and button mechanism probably broken.)
The sear holes can be welded, but why?
After a LOT of work and expense, if you are very lucky, you would end up with a worn out Rizzuto.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

My condolences for what you are about to put yourself through.

The hole on the blade is going to take some serious finesse to hammer back into shape without breaking through the outer section of metal. The rocker (button/latch) isn't disconnected; it's broken. You'll need to make a new one. If you do ever manage to do it, be sure to make the sear (pin that drops through the liner) is wider and goes up farther than the one it has now. When the sear was stuck down, someone tried prying it to open and closed, that is why both holes on the blade are stretched out like that.

And that size Rizzuto takes a 3/32" size wire. It should go up a little farther than the bottom of the top bolster.
Last edited by JimBrown257 on Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Sure has seen better days, best of luck to you with it.
2024 candidate for president
kugr

Post by kugr »

Thank you both for the replying. I know its a "lost cause", but I'm pretty crafty and believe that bringing something like this back to life makes it that much more important. Kind of like bringing a rusted, hole filled 57 chevy cab back to life.
It has the bolster, its a complete knife.
3/32 wire... crap bought the wrong stuff.
Well, I will keep you posted on my successes and failures in this endeaver.
kugr

Post by kugr »

Oh it looked "better" before I took it apart, check the blade section, its in my collection thread. I also have more individual pictures of it, but not posted
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

You can turn the 1/8" wire into 3/32" fairly easy with a file or sander. The music wire springs can be bent and re-bent without breaking so you'll just have to do it with one piece. Making the rocker is going to be the hardest part.
kugr

Post by kugr »

Bill and Jim, you are both correct. The button mechanism is cracked in half at the rocker pin. Its made from some lead/zinc/pot metal witchcraft which will be difficult to reproduce. The plastic handles will be the second hardest thing to reproduce. Im not giving up. This project might just be the reason I pick up that mini cnc machine I've been wanting for years now.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

A CNC machine isn't going to be what you want to use for this. I saw those pics and you might just want to super glue the crack on the scale and then sand/polish it. Or just make a new one with acrylic. If you do, you just want to use normal tools to do it. The rocker, you will want to make with steel. It's a fairly siimple piece (a straight section of steel with a hole in the middle, a sear at one end and the button soldered on the other. Then you will have to heat treat it.

As for the sear I mentioned, you can see in the pic an original one (like yours) on the left and a new/bigger one on the right. It is wider to make up for the peek it will surely have and longer so it goes up farther into that notch at the very bottom of the blade (you will have to cut more room for that.

It is possible to do all this stuff; you just have to really want to do it.
Attachments
IMG_1420.JPG
IMG_1420.JPG (28.54 KiB) Viewed 3384 times
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

if ya gonna go thru that much trouble make new scales out of horn or wood.
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

I have a Rizutto that has stag scales that replaced the original scales.
2024 candidate for president
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

I've done a few with horn when people really wanted them but I usually go with acrylic because that is all the originals ever had. Some of the 7.5" and 8.5" pre-Rizzuto lockbacks had horn but the REM Bo/cs always have acrylic.
kugr

Post by kugr »

Jim, since you said to heat treat the rocker, im assuming i need to get the correct high carbon steel so the process takes, correct?
Again, logic beats my want of a small cnc mill.
I had thought about doing different scales. I think this time around I will do acrylic. A future project might get some fancier scales once I get more comfortable with the fabrication process.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Lol, sounds like you are just looking for an excuse to get a mill.
kugr

Post by kugr »

Yes, I am, but logic and life get in the way. Just bought 3 mobile homes this morning, to rehab, to put on the 3 lots I dont have yet. This little endeavor has tied up my "fun" money...