Slant Bolster BO/BC

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JulesVane

Slant Bolster BO/BC

Post by JulesVane »

Hi guys...I've been wanting to add this style for some time now. Came with a couple "surprises". I thought they all had a swedge blade, but this is plain flat grind. Nickel/silver bolsters and D-stamped liner I also wasn't aware of, but welcome surprise. Naturally, I would have preferred genuine horn scales, but if I had to go plastic, these suit me okay. I've read of production from the 1960's thru the 1980's (possibly read 1990's?). So, the nickel/silver and D-stamp lean me one way, the imitation horn the other. But, it's a nice little (just under 8") button open/close piece. ...

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Corvus

Re: Slant Bolster BO/BC

Post by Corvus »

That's a cool little knife, Chris. Looks pristine, too. Any idea what the style is called? It's very much like a traditional gunstock pattern.

I love the BO/BC mechanism. Wish it was more common on modern Italians.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Corvus wrote:That's a cool little knife, Chris. Looks pristine, too. Any idea what the style is called? It's very much like a traditional gunstock pattern.

I love the BO/BC mechanism. Wish it was more common on modern Italians.
Thanks Rick. I've only heard it called a "Slant Bolster" as far as I can recall.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

Hi Chris, I was bidding on similar knife (it had brass bolsters) on eBay a few months ago and was really disappointed when the auction just ‘disappeared’. doesn’t the name have something like jaeger in it ?

Mike
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Hey Mike. Nah, that name doesn’t sound like “my” seller’s. But, as you know, these items disappear randomly for sure. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a Slant Bolster in Brass, but certainly haven’t seen everything. The “Bay” has been loaded with lots of nice stuff lately and quite often makes it to sale.

Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Yes they were made in Brass with wood handles too.....Two sizes but the larger 9"open ones are very hard to find. Frank B old ads called them "Old Fashion" but slant bolster is the common term for them. They came in several peralex colors, stag, horn and imt horn ( as yours). The really old ones had the false edge and more modern ones had the blade yours has.....The old ones with the Indian head are fairly rare too....
johnnyl321

Post by johnnyl321 »

I have a similar model. Has VIRGINIA INOX stamped on tang.
"Man has not evolved an inch from the slime which has spawned him"
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Nice knife Chris.

I really like the scales on that piece.Good grab mate.

As Tom said these were referred to as the "old fashioneds " and slant bolsters.

As for dating I think the earlier examples had nickle bolsters and swedge blades but im rusty so dont take that as a given.
Here is a 9" example I have with the swedge blade and dark horn scales .Its marked INOX and was bought from France.
They dont show up in Europe too often either.
Excuse the older pictures .

Hope everybody here is well .

Ian
Attachments
DSC_0001.jpg
DSC_0001.jpg (145.61 KiB) Viewed 4574 times
DSC_0004.jpg
DSC_0004.jpg (121.63 KiB) Viewed 4574 times
DSC_0003.jpg
DSC_0003.jpg (127.98 KiB) Viewed 4574 times
eddymunster

Post by eddymunster »

Cool! I have a black handled with the swedge blade stamped JNDIANA.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

I added a wood/brass example...Ian, yours is really fantastic.

sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

I had one that looked like that a few years back but I sold or traded it off for some other knife. Probably over 10 years ago. Lots of knives I've parted with I wish I'd kept and that was one of them. Live and learn.
2024 candidate for president
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

sammy the blade wrote:I had one that looked like that a few years back but I sold or traded it off for some other knife. Probably over 10 years ago. Lots of knives I've parted with I wish I'd kept and that was one of them. Live and learn.
Thanks Sammy! We often hear about buyer's remorse, but I too fear seller's remorse. I have a hard time parting with any.

portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

buyers remorse quickly fades while sellers remorse just sticks with you .... :D
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

You lot in America are lucky

I have have" can't buy" remorse ....Its the worst of the lot. :D

Really nice slant bolsters Chris .Glad you could add them to your ever growing and great collection .

Ian
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

JulesVane wrote:I added a wood/brass example...Ian, yours is really fantastic.

Looks exactly like the one I sold 2 years ago. I had got it from Bill D several years before that...Funny how knives make the rounds 8) .