Very Vague ID Request

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JulesVane

Very Vague ID Request

Post by JulesVane »

Hi Guys. I got a strange request on another social media site from Jerry Garcia's daughter "Annebelle" asking for help in any info on her Dad's old knife he bought in Europe many years ago. I gather (from her) it was given to her after the band was done throwing it into a tree while touring and "broke it". These, I'm afraid, are all the photos she has sent thus far, but I'm pretty sure you guys don't need too many more. I'll gladly post (add) whatever she may send...

Him holding it...

What's left of it today...

Only stamp so far pic...

Common tang stamp from page #71 of Switchblades of Italy...

...I guess the most she can hope for (besides anything obvious) is a maker/possible year. Thanks for any help in advance.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Re: Very Vague ID Request

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

this is very cool to see Jerry holding a switchblade,as being a Dead Head,I saw the Dead 150+time's'first show in 1973,at the age of 15,I got on the bus in 1976,still friend's with with many old head's.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Sure is in rough condition.
2024 candidate for president
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

I love it! I had a copy of that picture of Jerry for many years. Wow to see the original knife is pretty awesome!

Too bad about the front handle otherwise it looks darn nice!
Italian and USA Doctorate in Cutlery Research, PHD
Italian and USA Masters in Cutlery Research, PHD
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Wow, the story seems to check out too. Don't see that much on the internet.

Besides for the absurdity of Jerry Garcia's daughter having an Instagram account, this is pretty cool.

Although, I would still be hesitant to say that knife the girl found is the exact knife in the poster. If there was some evidence of it, that would be a real gem.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

JimBrown257 wrote:Wow, the story seems to check out too. Don't see that much on the internet.

Besides for the absurdity of Jerry Garcia's daughter having an Instagram account, this is pretty cool.

Although, I would still be hesitant to say that knife the girl found is the exact knife in the poster. If there was some evidence of it, that would be a real gem.
Jeremy, actually, the girl "Annebelle" said her Dad (Jerry Garcia) gave her the knife. Here's what she publicly posted (mind you, I have no personal or even friendly association with her, she just saw my interest in our hobby):

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
redeye

Post by redeye »

Very cool,both knife and story.
I am the KING of LATAMA collectors HAHAHAHAHAHAHA {EVIL LAUGH}
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The knife was made by Mauro Mario.
It needs to come see me for a restoration. I'm the only authorized Mauro Mario repairman in the world.
I'm also a musician.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Bill DeShivs wrote:The knife was made by Mauro Mario.
It needs to come see me for a restoration. I'm the only authorized Mauro Mario repairman in the world.
I'm also a musician.
Great Bill! I will pass your info on to her immediately!

thom

Post by thom »

Bill, If you do get it, will you please post the after pictures??
Thom
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

actually, the girl "Annebelle" said her Dad (Jerry Garcia) gave her the knife. Here's what she publicly posted
Yeah, I definitely believe her story. I looked at the Instagram page and that is indeed Jerry Garcia's daughter you are talking with and that knife used to be owned by Jerry Garcia.

What I was saying is, I don't think it is 100% that the cracked scale MM from the pics is the exact same knife in that poster. People who own switchblades often have more than one, sometimes a lot. A knife owned by Jerry Garcia is valuable. A knife from a famous poster is priceless.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Hope Bill gets a chance to do his magic on it. Be nice it in original condition!
2024 candidate for president
Jay Blade

Post by Jay Blade »

I'm also a musician.
And definitely a master at both crafts for sure!
Peteymcsweety

Post by Peteymcsweety »

All I can say is WOW
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

I'm also a musician.
PM Sent Bill...