Waspy little BO/BC

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Corvus

Waspy little BO/BC

Post by Corvus »

This is my first modest vintage Italian (or is it Japanese?) grab to test the waters. I love wasp-bodied knives so I figured what the hell. 7-5/8" OAL, button open/close, flat-guard pagoda (some call it derby) bolster, D-stamped liners, two-piece spring, full unswedged blade, tight, straight, and snappy. The button, safety, liners and bolsters all appear to be steel. I assume this guy was made in the early '60s.

Note the double sear pin holes for the BO/BC mechanism:

barshoo

Re: Waspy little BO/BC

Post by barshoo »

That is an AWESOME little wasp-bodied knife, Rick!! I have not seen a Wasp that small before! I sure is pretty!! It looks like Brazilian or dark Horn...That a really nice SCORE...the Tang does not really identify the maker.
I will push your buttons--please pass me your switchblades first.
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

Thanks, Barb. I've searched the archives here and elsewhere, and these come up once in a while, but I've never seen anyone offer a best guess on the maker. If anyone knows, or has one share, please chime in. Pics welcome.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Great piece Rick! I'm 99.9% sure it's Italian. (leaves room for my error lol).

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

Thanks, Chris. The general consensus in the threads on these little BO/BCs concurs with your assessment. I've also read that it's unlikely that Japanese makers from that era would mark their knives rostfrei, but that's purely anecdotal. And, as Barb pointed out, the horn sure looks Brazilian or similar.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

The Derby Bolsters, BO/BC and Wasp Body certainly make this a super piece. Love it!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Corvus

Firstly lovely BO/BC you posted ...nice horn . 8)

I have a version that is very similar but mine is marked INOX instead of Rostfrei.My blade is also different as it is a swedge blade.

I think when I posted it sometime back it was established that these were indeed italian as the Japanese didnt mark their blades Rostfrei or Inox .

The bolsters are strange imho, the way the ears are riveted, and my version although horn isnt what I class as 60s italian quality but I trust the older members word and opinions.

I have posted a couple of pictures here ...the one with the swedge blade in the bottom pics is mine swedge blade wasp INOX marked .
The other top 2 pictures with much better horn like your example and marked Rostfrei the same belongs to whippersnapper, and I hope my freind doesnt mind me posting it to show you.,as he shared it on my post .

I hope others chime in as I too couldn't find an awful lot of information when I posted mine either.

Hope it helps and that you are well.

regards

gravknife
Attachments
derby.jpg
derby.jpg (36.47 KiB) Viewed 3007 times
derby1.jpg
derby1.jpg (37.93 KiB) Viewed 3007 times
20171123_102328_3.jpg
20171123_102328_3.jpg (369.69 KiB) Viewed 3007 times
20171118_120942_2.jpg
20171118_120942_2.jpg (726.06 KiB) Viewed 3007 times
20171118_120926_2.jpg
20171118_120926_2.jpg (913.31 KiB) Viewed 3007 times
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Sorry, I don't know much about them. Seems like one of the members has a large collection but I can't remember who? May have been Lance or belmont or scotty?

Seems like there is quite a few threads over at the sharperdeals forum if you search derby or pagoda bolster. I think you have to register to enter the forum.
http://www.sharperdeal.biz/forums/index ... 93be7d18b4
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

Thanks, guys. Gravknife, I appreciate the informative post!

I'm surprised that the BO/BC feature isn't more common. Two sear pins riding on the same rocker may not be as robust as an external locking tab, but it sure is handy, and the lockup on mine is tighter than a couple of my modern high-end picklocks.

Regarding the frame construction, are the steel bolsters riveted? Looks more like some kind of crimping to me.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I'm not sure but I agree it looks like a crimp.