My fathers knife.

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
NeilD

My fathers knife.

Post by NeilD »

Hello all,

I am writing as I have come across my late fathers knife.
It is far from being in good condition, but I am posting a few pictures, you this group is expert in identification.

I guess he purchased it in the fifties during his service with the RAF. (possibly Gibraltar)

Any information would be appreciated

Thank you all, for the add and your help,

Neil
knife_4.jpg
knife_4.jpg (980.88 KiB) Viewed 2265 times
knife_3.jpg
knife_3.jpg (563.13 KiB) Viewed 2265 times
knife_2.jpg
knife_2.jpg (700.28 KiB) Viewed 2265 times
knife_1.jpg
knife_1.jpg (720.54 KiB) Viewed 2265 times
sammy the blade

Re: My fathers knife.

Post by sammy the blade »

What does the stamp on the tang say?
2024 candidate for president
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Hi Neil, and welcome. Your Dad's old knife is pretty cool. I'm far from an expert on IDs, but appears to be an early 1950's picklock made in Maniago Italy. Possibly an 8" or 9"(?). Nickel/Silver bolsters, button & short throw safety, bayonet style blade grind, horn scales. The generic blade tang stamp of MADE over IN ITALY, is hard (for me) to pin down an exact maker. The only "issue" that's apparent, is the over sharpened blade with loss of metal. But, who could blame someone that bought the knife to use in the '50's and never realize the potential, future value. The blade loss/sharpening will decrease it's sale value, but being your Dad's old knife, I'm sure it's priceless to you. I trust you'll get a much better ID here, from many more knowledgeable than I. Here's a closer pic of the tang stamp...Again, great knife!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
NeilD

Post by NeilD »

sammy the blade wrote:What does the stamp on the tang say?
"MADE ITALY"

Thank you

Neil
NeilD

Post by NeilD »

JulesVane wrote:Hi Neil, and welcome. Your Dad's old knife is pretty cool.
Hi JulesVane,

Thank you for this information, I remember seing this knife as a child. It was a don't touch item in the house.Of course this has much sentimental value.

PS it is 8 inches in length

All the best

Neil
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

More than likely made by Mauro Mario company in Maniago.
The knife is not in bad shape. Oil the steel parts to prevent further corrosion.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
galvanic1882

Post by galvanic1882 »

Nice knife and better yet it was your Father's!!