Commemorative Switch to Honor Rick Giroux

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
barshoo

Commemorative Switch to Honor Rick Giroux

Post by barshoo »

(September 18, 2018: Just had a conversation with Sara...they will not take small orders. Minimum 200 knives. No can do. Back to the drawing board)
Last edited by barshoo on Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:15 am, edited 6 times in total.
I will push your buttons--please pass me your switchblades first.
JulesVane

Re: Commemorative Switch to Honor Rick Giroux

Post by JulesVane »

Hi Barb. That's quite an undertaking that I'm positive Rick would surely love.
Last edited by JulesVane on Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
john

Post by john »

Hi Barb,
I’m in.
Size - 11”
Definitely - Frank B
Cost- I’m sure it will be reasonable.
Blade - Bayonet
Scale - Buffalo
Engraving - Switch Rick or Switch Rick Giroux or Rick “Switch” Giroux
Great Idea!!!
John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

This is a fantastic idea - maybe a reverse-tang stamp on the other side of Frank B Italy ? saying something along the lines of "Switch" Rick Giroux and the dates of his life 19-something-2018

It would be cool to see this done in a 9'' picklock but if we go through Frank, this would be up to Bernie ... I mentioned to him before that I was willing to kick in some money to do another run of his 9'' picks but no reply...

But yes in either case, classic or pick, it seems Rick almost exclusively sold Frank's pieces so this would be so appropriate.
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

if they're anywhere in the price range that those 150 piece limited editions are fetching, may probably be too much money. But, certainly a great thought (if the price were right).
Last edited by JulesVane on Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
blademan

Post by blademan »

He would have loved it i'm sure, make it not too expensive so it will be in range for the smaller budget too.
Great idea.
I'm thinking of a 9" F.B. swinger or Pick engraved "Rick “Switch” Giroux"
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

JulesVane wrote:if they're anywhere in the price range that those 150 piece limited editions are fetching, may probably be too much money. But, certainly a great thought (if the price were right).
I assume you're referring to the 2007 BEF picks that just went on the block via sharperdeals last week? Honestly I think the reason they were so expensive was because of the autographed certificates that they came with, in addition to the run being 11 years old. I scored a 2013 9'' BEF on sharperdeals for 114 a few months ago. Time is the moneymaker with these I think..

Although honestly I would value them closer to 150-175 released tomorrow, as opposed to 2007 or 2013, it's a bargain for a Beltrame picklock that even gives Walt a run for his money...

Again, it would have to go through Bernie as he owns the production rights to Frank's 9'' picklock, but I would be happy to kick in some cash to get a run like this going
barshoo

Post by barshoo »

An 11" or 9" classic in dark horn would be best. That was Rick's favorite. (All my commemorative knives are 9". But, I know that you guys like the 11" or 28cm better.) I will get the prices from Sara Beltrame next week. That will determine the size and the price of the knife. We will be close to the sign-ups at that point.

I erroneously said that a bayo blade might make the knife cheaper, but that isn't necessarily true. Whatever Frank has the most on hand, that is what will be used.

The inscription will read,

RMG
'59-'18

This will fit on the tang nicely.
barshoo

Post by barshoo »

See my post above for corrections. Sign-ups might start as early as next weekend. I will have to ask for the full price up front. And there will be a time limit. Stay tuned...
boogibar

Post by boogibar »

Would be interested in Kriss blade, maybe honey horn?
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

barshoo wrote:An 11" or 9" classic in dark horn would be best. That was Rick's favorite. (All my commemorative knives are 9". But, I know that you guys like the 11" or 28cm better.) I will get the prices from Sara Beltrame next week. That will determine the size and the price of the knife. We will be close to the sign-ups at that point.

I erroneously said that a bayo blade might make the knife cheaper, but that isn't necessarily true. Whatever Frank has the most on hand, that is what will be used.

The inscription will read,

RMG
'59-'18

This will fit on the tang nicely.

This would be awesome, dark horn bayos are my very very favorite. Red dot too (??) I would happily pay an extra 10 bucks per knife for this.

It would be cool to have a Bayo blade option as well as maybe a Swedge blade in case someone like Fishtail wants to actually use it :lol:

How do custom runs work with these Maniago guys? do they need some kind of down-payment to get the thing rolling? I'm happy to kick in if this is the case (pm me). Rick always treated me so well - one of the pieces he sold me is being en-Lanced right now... can't wait for that!

I've always been a few years too late to participate in a commemorative run like this, very excited at the prospect of being part of one as it unfolds... :oops:
omega

Post by omega »

I would have to agree with Luke_of_Mass as to scales. Red-dot in a dark bovine or buffalo would be gorgeous. Some high-contrast dark buffalo w/whitish steaks would also be nice. As much as I love some of lighter scales like french-tip or some of the honey horn pieces, the "green-factor" - would be undesirable. You know - those awful scales in a translucent green, (usually the backside) that look like shit. When dealing with Maniago, one never knows what they're going to decide to ship, so ordering without great specificity can be a problem.

Some variance in blade styles to include dagger and kris would be wonderful for those that prefer those over bayonet, but I suspect that pricing would be better if the specs were the same for all. Only Sara or Frank could tell you for certain.

As to Luke's question regarding prepayment for custom runs, my experience is that pre-payment is almost always the norm, in that no knife-maker wants to get stuck with pieces that are already engraved or built to specific specs that differ from their everyday offerings. Since the run for this knife is going to be small, prepayment should certainly be expected. That way, no one gets stuck with anything, including Barb.

Just my two-cents worth. 8)
barshoo

Post by barshoo »

I give up...
Last edited by barshoo on Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:16 am, edited 7 times in total.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

barshoo wrote:The knife will be an FB classic, 11", have NS bolsters, dk horn scales, a red dot, and RMG over '59-'18 stamped on the tang.
Okay all...just to show off my ignorance here: "Classic" suggests (to me), a swivel bolster. Nickel/Silver bolsters and red dot safety suggest (again, to me), a picklock. At the fear of complete ridicule, which one?

Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

JulesVane wrote:Okay all...just to show off my ignorance here: "Classic" suggests (to me), a swivel bolster. Nickel/Silver bolsters and red dot safety suggest (again, to me), a picklock. At the fear of complete ridicule, which one?
Swivel Bolster - that should keep it on the cheaper side. N/S and red dot on a swivel bolster isn't seen everyday, and in the modern era of picklock throwbacks, I suspect it will resemble that of a transitional piece. As far as I know no one's made an homage to that yet!

I'm more of a 9'' collector but depending on the price I'll probably get a few... Rick was a special guy