Do any of you store your kick-spring autos CLOSED?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Corvus

Do any of you store your kick-spring autos CLOSED?

Post by Corvus »

Hey guys. I've been collecting automatic knives for over thirty years, but I'm a noob when it comes to Italian classics. I've read what seems like hundreds of discussions/debates on storing autos over the years, and I think it's safe to say that a knife with a properly designed and heat-treated spring can be stored in the closed position indefinitely without any issues.

OTOH, there seems to be some legitimate debate about storing these Italian autos closed because of the spring pressure applied to the sear and liners over time. If I understand the situation correctly, long term closed storage can potentially lead to premature sear wear and tip peaking, particularly when the knife is over-sprung and the soft brass liners are on the thin side.

Problem is, storing these long stilettos open is rapidly consuming all of my display real estate, but the peace of mind that comes with open storage prevails. Do any of you store these knives closed? And have you noticed any deleterious long term effects as a result?
thom

Re: Do any of you store your kick-spring autos CLOSED?

Post by thom »

Usually open. Most people say store it in open position. I would not store closed for extended time, like years.
SwitchGear

Post by SwitchGear »

Open here too
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I store my knives closed but I don't have high dollar knives.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I store many of mine closed. It makes no difference.
The rumor that storing Italian autos closed will damage the sears or liners is false. I have seen the insides of thousands of these knives. The only thing that causes blade peek is wear.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

Thanks for the responses, everyone.
Bill DeShivs wrote:I store many of mine closed. It makes no difference.
The rumor that storing Italian autos closed will damage the sears or liners is false. I have seen the insides of thousands of these knives. The only thing that causes blade peek is wear.
Bill, what conditions warrant storing some of your autos open?

I've read that sear wear can be partially mitigated by holding the button down as you close the knife. Would you concur?

Thanks!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I only store some open because they display better that way.
I have hundreds of rare autos stored closed.
You are correct about holding the button. It partially mitigates sear wear.
I have never seen a factory recommendation to store autos closed.
Springs break while BEING COMPRESSED, not after-as a rule.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
hogwild
Location: Proudly chasing the dollar to "share" with parasites

Post by hogwild »

Been storing mine closed for decades with no problems.
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises
john

Post by john »

There are two camps on this one issue. Some of us store open the other l group store their knive closed. Apparently it makes no difference just a personal preference.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
eddymunster

Post by eddymunster »

Open and closed for me as space is limited.
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

Thanks for all the responses, guys. I'm gonna leave the knives in my display case open for now, but the case is filled to capacity. As I acquire new knives, I'll go ahead a close one at a time to accommodate the new guy until they're all closed and the case is once again full, thus perpetuating the endless cycle of knife and death. This strategy has served me well for storing custom, Microtech, and other misc. autos, and it seems that these nifty Italian jobs are, for all practical purposes, no different.
barshoo

Post by barshoo »

I've stored mine closed for 20 years, and no problems. Plus, I don't have the room. Let's see what happens in ten more years...Hmmm :|
I will push your buttons--please pass me your switchblades first.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Open for display other than that closed. I've had no problems breaking springs and some of my knives have been closed for over a year.
2024 candidate for president
omega

Post by omega »

OH NO! It's the eternal question that refuses to fu*king DIE!

Open is my personal choice, but I also trust Bill DeShiv's assertions that it matters not, at least during MY lifetime. That said, I prefer to err on the side of caution, as I lack the skills and tools necessary to be fussing with leaf-spring replacements. I think Bill probably leaves his stuff buried in a hole in the ground, as he can fix most anything. Just speaking his name scares rust to death!

Next question, please?

:? :? :?
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

I actually emailed Frank Beltrame about this, and got (hopefully) a dictated response through Sara; it seems he recommends open storage to reduce wear, but the most consistent thing in our back-and-forth email chain was a concern about having a safe place to store them open, and that if there's a lack of said safe place to keep them this way, just keep 'em shut.

Most wear happens as the metal is compressed, but as a rule metal under strain will eventually weaken and fail - aka metal fatigue. The spring is not/has never really ever been my main concern, however: The sear and button assembly are made of far thinner parts, parts from metal that is rarely (if ever) specified - think about it, when's the last time someone gave you the composition of their button / trigger assemblies? I fear that this will give long, long before the spring on a good knife ever would. It is for this reason that I will always keep older autos open, namely pre-bans and transitional, and make sure I've got a place to keep them as such.
Knee-deep in the hoopla...