Can someone identify the year of this Rostfrei switchblade?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Username

Can someone identify the year of this Rostfrei switchblade?

Post by Username »

I found this a while ago, not sure when it was made. Looks a bit like something from the 60s based on my preliminary research, although I'm hardly an expert. Any ideas?

JulesVane

Re: Can someone identify the year of this Rostfrei switchblade?

Post by JulesVane »

Hi. It looks like you attempted to post 4 pictures, but my laptop only shows the 1st one of the backside. Can you give us the length opened? I'm sure you tried to post pics of the tang stamp and it's possibly only my PC that I can't see the other 3 pics on. From the one pic I see, it looks like a modern 9" AKC Swinguard with stag scales. IMO, if it's shorter than 9", the "older" it could be.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

My phone only shows the first one too.
2024 candidate for president
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

The links to the last three pictures are bad. What shows on the post are what comes up when the links are copied and pasted to the address line on a browser. Perhaps Username, a first for me :shock: , can reset those links.

One wonders what Username used for a Password :mrgreen:
Username

Post by Username »

Just so you know, I chose Username as a username because I thought it clever. I have an actual secure password.
See if these images work:
Username

Post by Username »

The length, opened, is about 8". The blade is about 3 1/4".
If you still can't see the pictures, here's a link to a shared google pictures album.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/CEauNKhFPoQZ27cU9
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

...That's better. My non-expert opinion would agree with you being produced in the '60's in Maniago Italy. I tried zooming in on the link photo of the rear tang looking for PATENT stamp. It's a very nice little swinger and a fine addition to any collection IMO.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Welcome Username

Don't worry it's always hard to post photographs here at first..

It looks to me like their is a 4 under the slanted Rostfrei...is this correct?

I agree with Chris that It's a nice early 60s swinguard .It was built in the cottage industry in Maniago Italy and is a very nice knife with great stag scales.

Thanks for sharing it here

gravknife
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Your knife was made in Maniago, Italy-for sale in Germany. The handle is the 9" model, with the blade of the 8" model.
These short-blade models were built to comply with German law at the time. I would think the knife dates from the early 1970s.
I bought knives of this type from Germany in the early 1970s.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

That's not the Kissing Crane stamp under the Rostfrei...is it? It looks like it could be but it also looks like it might not be. I don't think I've seen a swinger with that stamp.
Username

Post by Username »

gravknife wrote:Welcome Username

Don't worry it's always hard to post photographs here at first..

It looks to me like their is a 4 under the slanted Rostfrei...is this correct?

I agree with Chris that It's a nice early 60s swinguard .It was built in the cottage industry in Maniago Italy and is a very nice knife with great stag scales.

Thanks for sharing it here

gravknife
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that it's a 4
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

I dug through my collection and found one just like this except mine does not have a "4" under the script "Rostfrei". Maybe the blade could be a 0.25 inch longer which would make it 3.75" vs the 3.5" it actually is as measured from the top of the bolster, not the top of the swing guard. Interesting that a mere 1/4" would get the Germans' knickers in a twist.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

I just checked out my vintage swingers. None of the German blade ones have any numbers but one of my regular 11"s has Inox with a 1 under it. Maybe those numbers mean something. Everyone check your vintage swingers and report back!
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Username,Jim

I to would like to know the meaning of the numbers stamped on knives aswell.

My recent Herbertz has a 2 and I have seen other numbers on transitional knives when reading here.

I wonder if its some kind of assembly mark used in MAniago for different blade types ?

It would be good to find out as I can't find anything on here or Google that explains the numbers.
Anyone any ideas ?

gravknife
Username

Post by Username »

natcherly wrote:I dug through my collection and found one just like this except mine does not have a "4" under the script "Rostfrei". Maybe the blade could be a 0.25 inch longer which would make it 3.75" vs the 3.5" it actually is as measured from the top of the bolster, not the top of the swing guard. Interesting that a mere 1/4" would get the Germans' knickers in a twist.
I just measured the blade - including the blade under the guard it is almost exactly 3.75"
Edit: that might not be quite accurate, because I probably included some of the blade in the handle.