Curious

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Scotchman

Curious

Post by Scotchman »

I have two LE Frank B's. One is a Frosolone marked 2013, the other one is my newly purchashed Humpback marked 2013, both are 11" dark horn. The Frosolone has SS everything, the humpback has NS bolsters and SS button and safety. What is everyone's thought on this? Just curious.
JulesVane

Re: Curious

Post by JulesVane »

I wasn't aware that Frank B produced a Frosolone style Scott. I've seen his Stiletto with no bottom bolsters. I certainly prefer N/S bolsters and would think any limited edition piece would have them, but apparently not(?).

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Scotchman

Post by Scotchman »

That is what I have is no bottom bolsters which I believe was termed by Menseffects? as Frosolone ( I could be wrong ) when I bought it, but, yeah I would think LE would have higher end materials. I have pics of it here somewhere.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

The one with no bottom bolster is just like a normal FB with SS bolsters.

One of the real sad things with a lot of the fancier modern knives is that even though they have NS bolsters, they still use the SS button and safety pieces.

If you want to see something really weird, check out the old Italian coil-spring humpbacks. Many of them have NS button/safety and top bolsters...but the bottom bolsters are SS! It's the damnedest thing. A lot of them have this but it is only the vintage humpbacks that have it. I still haven't heard any plausable hypotheses on why they are like that.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

The only hypothesis I can come up with is that the various knife makers bought a bunch of SS rear bolsters from a knife makers' supply company. Our boys in Maniago don't necessarily make all the pieces of all the knives they put out.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

What is weird is that the SS bolster on bottom is something I have seen on about half the vintage humpbacks I've seen. I've seen a lot of these humpbacks so it's not just like I saw a few and two had the SS bottom bolster. Also, this thing is only on the vintage humpbacks, I've never seen it on anything like an Italian pickock or transitional. And the bottom bolster on the guardless ones seems to be unique to these knives so I don't think they were using pieces from other knives. The old humpbacks had two styles: straight bodies with no guards and stiletto bodies with guards. They have a different shape of bottom bolster but both types will have the thing with the SS on bottom. The guard model has bottom bolsters just like regular Italian stilettos but regular Italian stilettos never had the SS bolster on bottom (when they had NS on top).
Attachments
IMG_9388.JPG
IMG_9388.JPG (96.78 KiB) Viewed 2382 times
IMG_9389.JPG
IMG_9389.JPG (105.83 KiB) Viewed 2382 times
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Here's a humpback with guards and a SS bottom bolster. It has the exact same shape of bolster as the transitional yet the trasnitionals and picklocks never have the SS bottom bolster thing. It's only on humpbacks for some reason.
Attachments
IMG_9393.JPG
IMG_9393.JPG (100.76 KiB) Viewed 2382 times
eddymunster

Post by eddymunster »

The straight body with no guards is very appealing. I have never seen one and now I want one.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Based on what I have seen, the guardless straightbody is actually more common than the traditional Italian body ones. Not by a lot, though.