removing pins/scales

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
thom

removing pins/scales

Post by thom »

What is the best method for removing scales on a pinned stiletto? I have been reluctant to try. Razor blade between scale and liner?
Thom

Is there a book or someway to learn other than just doing it. How about a tools and parts? I see parts available, is there a standard pin? What tools do I need? etc.
Last edited by thom on Thu May 17, 2018 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: removing pins/scales

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I generally take the knife apart by filing the heads off the backspring and rear bolster pins, and punch the pins out from the inside of the liners.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
thom

Post by thom »

makes sense. thanks. need to work up my nerve now
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

thom wrote:Razor blade between scale and liner?
Don't do that! Always take the knife apart by removing the pins. As Bill said, take the three structural pins off from the back, unless there is some reason it is easier to do from the front (though there rarely is).

To cut the heads off, use a Dremel cutting wheel to remove as much as the head as you can. Then I use a 1/16" drill bit to drill a little bit into the pin. After that, you use a pin punch or nail to pound the pin out enough to grab it from the other side. And when you remove the scale pins, work from the liner side and do the same thing, though there won't be the head to cut off.

When you are ready to put the knife back together, come back here for advice on that. For the steel pins, you can use pieces of wire hangers. If you buy steel ones DON'T get stainless. For the brass ones, get 2mm rods. For the scale pins, you will either have to sand the pin down a little (the existing ones are bigger than 1.5mm but smaller than 2mm) or expand the holes to be 2mm.

One thing: find some POS manual to practice on because the first time you try this you will likely mess the knife up. You want to get some practice removing and replacing pins before you try working on a knife you care about.

So you will need:

Drill
Cutting wheels (the enforced ones are worth the extra cost)
Wheel mandrel
Pin punch or nail
Replacement pins
Flat head hammer
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Never make the hole fit your pin. Make your pin fit the hole.
Brass pin stock is available in all different sizes. .072, .081, 2mm are all common.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

If you are going for the original look, you don't want to expand the holes but if you are doing a custom there is no reason not to do it.
thom

Post by thom »

Thanks guys. If I do attempt it will certainly be on a cruddy knife. I can't imagine doing that without scratching the scales.
john

Post by john »

To help prevent scratches cover the scales and bolsters with duct tape. Light scratches are easily removed. You can try starting with a course to fine polishing cloths/ sponges.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
thom

Post by thom »

Thanks again for the tips. Greatly appreciated.
Oldreb

Post by Oldreb »

Thom - thanks for the post - really enjoyed reading through the expert replies - very helpful !!

Wayne
starsea

Post by starsea »

Thanks for the information, I need to learn how to do this.