Could someone explain the lack of enthusiasm?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Fishtail Picklock

Could someone explain the lack of enthusiasm?

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

For American made automatic knives? (Buck, Kershaw, GT, Bear & Sons, Gerber, et al.).

What's the point of explaining the reasons and qualities of domestic knives if they don't garner any response?
Fishtail Picklock
ILikeStilettos

Re: Could someone explain the lack of enthusiasm?

Post by ILikeStilettos »

A lot of the guys here, maybe most of them, concentrate on vintage Italian. It's like taking a Corvette to a model T show, they could care less.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

ILikeStilettos wrote:A lot of the guys here, maybe most of them, concentrate on vintage Italian. It's like taking a Corvette to a model T show, they could care less.
...I'm looking for the "Thumbs Up" button.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Fishtail Picklock

A sure sign of age... a broadening @$$ and a narrowing mind.

Oh, well.
Fishtail Picklock
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

To some these knives you mention don't have the sizzle that an Italian switch possesses in spades. That said, those same knives are actually useful,for the most part. Same cannot be said for a 13" Latama Kris squarebutton which is more eyecandy than utility. Costs a bit more too these days. :shock: :lol:

As the French say, chacun à son goût.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

As always, Mr. Natch is correct. The Americans mentioned in the original post are quite functional. I have a few knives like these which I actually use (and enjoy) to cut things, but to me they don't generate the collector enthusiasm that the classics do. So, I buy a few functional switchblades for actual use and focus my collecting energy and dollars on switchblades that I never plan to use for anything than my own collector edification.

Jim
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

There's not as much enthusiasm for any knives on these forums anymore imo.
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

whippersnapper wrote:There's not as much enthusiasm for any knives on these forums anymore imo.
I'm enthusiastic about my own, and once in a while somebody agrees.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
mick17

Post by mick17 »

Fishtail Picklock wrote:For American made automatic knives? (Buck, Kershaw, GT, Bear & Sons, Gerber, et al.).

What's the point of explaining the reasons and qualities of domestic knives if they don't garner any response?
Ferraris/Lamborghinis/Maseratis of any type are more fun to discuss than Ford/Chevy/Dodge sedans, SUVs, vans, trucks.

*I'm talking modern vehicles to modern knives here. Vintage vehicles and knives are a whole different ballgame.
Fishtail Picklock

Which knives are you going to count on "where the rubber meets the road"? (Firestone ad copy, 1963)

I'll take a "functional" auto any day of the week. I have several Chinese, an Italian or two and a few American autos that I count on to "take care of business".

What do I know?
Fishtail Picklock
DonC

Post by DonC »

I'm sure there are a lot of sites that discuss the attributes of the American made knives but I'm here as a collector and the Americans just don't fall into my area of interest.
DonC
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I am a member here, ShaperDeal and BladeForums....TB and here are much the same. BF you can not talk about Italian knives without getting bashed. They hate any non USA OTFs and make fun of what the collectors here like. If it isn't a $200+ USA knife, then don't talk about it on BF.....Yes there are usable knives that the members here collect, and most USA made ones are designed for use.....As Jim D said we collect mostly to collect for non use, but many have useful purpose also ( besides self defense).
Last edited by Tom19176 on Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Is it my understanding that, originally, switchblades were never sharpened at all? Only meant to get one's "point" across? I have no interest in collecting auto knives used to skin beaver down near the creek. Probably why I very rarely visit the hunting knife or professional kitchen knives sections of this wonderful forum.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
mick17

Post by mick17 »

Ha the movie Vacation provides a good analogy for what I'm saying.

I'd rather talk about this

instead of this.

And now I've got the damn theme song from that movie "Holiday Road" stuck in my head!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

JulesVane wrote:Is it my understanding that, originally, switchblades were never sharpened at all? Only meant to get one's "point" across? I have no interest in collecting auto knives used to skin beaver down near the creek. Probably why I very rarely visit the hunting knife or professional kitchen knives sections of this wonderful forum.
Only Italian stilettos were not sharpened- and many of THEM were.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.