Okay, I'll confess...

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Fishtail Picklock

Okay, I'll confess...

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

I just purchased an 11" AKC Fishtail Picklock (true OAL 10.75") with Rosewood scales from Lance. It was shipped today. In the long run, I plan on having it rescaled with some nice Brazil horn or Dark Horn To make it look like dad's old Latama carbon steel knife.

This will end the pursuit of my "grail" knife.
Fishtail Picklock
sammy the blade

Re: Okay, I'll confess...

Post by sammy the blade »

Hopefully you'll finally get what you've always wanted!
2024 candidate for president
Fishtail Picklock

Thank you, Sammy. So many people can't understand the "romantic" attachment to a knife. I'm trying to keep my father's memory alive. Since I'm the last surviving family member, it will die when I reach my "pull date". Such are the fortunes of life.

The Maritime Museum in Astoria Oregon is willing to accept my father's Boatswain's Whistle (circa 1938) as an artifact for permanent display. The Tongue Point Naval Station that closed just 7 years after my birth in the Navy Dispensary was dad's last duty station. (Father was "mustered out in June of 1956). This will assure the preservation of his memory long after I'm gone.
Fishtail Picklock
sammy the blade

I try not think to much about those things, we will be with the ones that passed when our time comes. Of that I'm convinced!
Fishtail Picklock

sammy the blade wrote:I try not think to much about those things, we will be with the ones that passed when our time comes. Of that I'm convinced!
When you have personally seen as much death as I have, you can't help but think about it on a daily basis. Trust me, we are intimately familiar. :!: After buying my entire family, four of my own children and a spouse, you would have more than a "passing familiarity" too. :|

Life is short and then you aren't.
Fishtail Picklock
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

Fishtail Picklock wrote:
sammy the blade wrote:I try not think to much about those things, we will be with the ones that passed when our time comes. Of that I'm convinced!
When you have personally seen as much death as I have, you can't help but think about it on a daily basis. Trust me, we are intimately familiar. :!: After buying my entire family, four of my own children and a spouse, you would have more than a "passing familiarity" too. :|

Life is short and then you aren't.
That's so tragic. Like is not supposed to be that way. I'm very sorry.
sammy the blade

I don't know how you survived that Fishtail. Your a strong individual, I don't think I could endure a loss like that. God bless you.
Fishtail Picklock

No one guarantees how life will unfold. If someone would tell me how life should be, we can open an alterations franchise.

"He who dies a thousand deaths meets the final hour with a calmness of one who approaches a well-remembered door." - Heywood Brown
Fishtail Picklock
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Very sorry to hear what you have had to deal with....
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

I cant even imagine burying one of my children F.P.

I think it takes an extraordinary man to deal with this amount of tradgedy and to keep fighting on after lifes tests and tortures kept coming at you ....i take my hat off to you Sir.

Keep going as you have been mate and i hope you get the peace and happiness you deserve in life.

All the best

Ian
Fishtail Picklock

While I appreciate the sentiments, We all are born alone, live alone and die alone. This is how life truly is. I have no desire to hook up with some woman to whom I'll be required to cater, buy gifts and support. That's a racket that's been monopolized by women for decades. Misandry has become a way of life in our Western culture and most men are treated as if they are little more than an ATM. If I need the companionship of a woman, it will be far less expensive to rent one. (This eliminates the dating scene and the high cost of divorce). This old sailor no longer needs a "long-haired mess cook".

If I ever feel the overwhelming desire to get married again, I'll just buy the woman a house and cut out the heartaches in the middle.

"I'm alright. Don't nobody worry 'bout me. You got to give me advice. Why don't you just let me be?" - Kenny Loggins
Last edited by Fishtail Picklock on Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fishtail Picklock
Fishtail Picklock

The knife arrived and it is identical to the other AKC Fishtail Picklock I have. (9.75" not 10.75"). It is tighter and fires harder than my other Fishtail. I'll probably have Rick re-scale the knife when I can afford to have it done. I'm beginning to think that a custom knife is the only way I can obtain the knife I want.

Life goes on.
Fishtail Picklock
lance

Post by lance »

Thats terrible,i knew the knife ment a lot to you,but thats something else entirely.i admire your stregnth,couldn't imagine one of those terrible things happening in my life let alone all of them..
Congratulations on your fathers addition to the museum.god bless you.glad to help ya get closer to your goal.
Fishtail Picklock

Thanks, Lance (and everyone).

Honestly, I suffer a great deal from depression. (It goes with life's circumstances). You have to "roll with the punches". I have a friend that is undergoing a "final round" of chemotherapy. He has also had the blessing of holding his preemie great-grandsons in his arms.

I'm not the only one. I pray for him daily and have openly wept in prayer on his behalf. Just because we are old soldiers and sailors doesn't mean that we are cold and unfeeling. We've "been there and done that".

May God truly be with us all.
Fishtail Picklock