bladeauction.net - New knife auction :)

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
METALGOD

Re: bladeauction.net - New knife auction :)

Post by METALGOD »

redeye wrote:
Luke_of_Mass wrote:Been looking for a BV&F piece do you happen to have any among your stock from over the years?

Luke I have a manual B V ang F ,in fact I think that I have three of them. Ill look and see whats in the vault soon .
Redeye if im not mistaken the BV&F stamp was used on picklocks, Transitionals and manuals correct ?
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

Redeye, better save at least two BV&F's for me and Bernie then :lol: - never thought I'd be interested in a manual stiletto but being the Beltrame fan/collector that I am, I'm certainly interested! If the price is right, that is.
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
omega

Post by omega »

FYI, for the newer collectors, BVF was the firm Frank Beltrame's father was a part of. I once asked Frank if he had any of the old BVF pieces - he has ONE. It's a small stiletto, perhaps 6" overall. Its Frank's every-day pocketknife. I also asked why not more - he said they were all sold!
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

I saw a similar story in the now-gone Fredde10 album on one of the sharperdeal websites ... with a picture! Might have even been a 5 incher! Bet that's worth some real coin. But it appears that Frank is a less-than-materialistic person to not even have a collection after 50+ years in the industry
omega

Post by omega »

Luke_of_Mass wrote:I saw a similar story in the now-gone Fredde10 album on one of the sharperdeal websites ... with a picture! Might have even been a 5 incher! Bet that's worth some real coin. But it appears that Frank is a less-than-materialistic person to not even have a collection after 50+ years in the industry
No.... I suspect Frank to be a bit materialistic to have sold off most all of his dad's work, knowing they would be/are heirloom collectibles, but who knows.... could have been Armando, LOL. We'll never know. :D

Edit: And why collect frank's work, when YOU ARE Frank and just walk out back and pound together a new one as needed.
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

omega wrote:And why collect frank's work, when YOU ARE Frank and just walk out back and pound together a new one as needed.
This is a valid point, but, during my years as a blacksmith, I produced a large number of fixed-blade knives, some in my opinion were better than others, and to this day I still hold onto the best of the best. Granted the situation is a little different when you're working with a hand crank coal forge and hammer everything by hand, then spend 10+ hours with sandpaper, WD-40, and an angle grinder to finish the darn piece and you feel like part of your soul has been expended on it. Perhaps that's just my fault for doing everything the hard way though lol

Man I wish that Fredde album was still up, I kinda wanna look at it again...
omega

Post by omega »

Luke_of_Mass wrote:I saw a similar story in the now-gone Fredde10 album on one of the sharperdeal websites ... with a picture! Might have even been a 5 incher! Bet that's worth some real coin. But it appears that Frank is a less-than-materialistic person to not even have a collection after 50+ years in the industry
Yeah, I saw something similar as well in the Frede10 thing too. Back in the olden days 1998-2005, Frank and I corresponded frequently, that was before his daughter Sara took over his correspondence. It was always a hoot due to the language barrier, but even then, I understand Sara was handling translations and maybe even ghost-writing for Frank, as needed.

I always enjoyed my personal dealings with Frank - always very pleasant and congenial.

When I was a dealer, I used "Dirty Gerty" aka my 94 year-old grandmother as an advertising spokesperson for OmegaBlades. Frank thought that was funny as hell (as I intended). One Christmas, he sent her a 28cm damascus/buffalo bayo stiletto as a gift, along with a nice card. Just what we all needed - Grandma with a big ole switch! After her death, the knife was gifted to me, but being hard-up for cash, it was sold.

Say what you will about him, but I just love Frank Beltrame because of little things like that. He was always a real gentleman who cherished friendships and conducted his business the old way, with integrity and honour.

Chris
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

Thanks so much for sharing your stories about Frank... he does seem like a kind and interesting guy, I've spoken with his daughter as well and she's so friendly too... I hope to one day make it to Maniago before any of these legends pass on, but I know the clock is ticking... :(
omega

Post by omega »

Luke_of_Mass wrote:Thanks so much for sharing your stories about Frank... he does seem like a kind and interesting guy, I've spoken with his daughter as well and she's so friendly too... I hope to one day make it to Maniago before any of these legends pass on, but I know the clock is ticking... :(
If/when I hit the lottery, Maniago is at the top of my bucket-list. Grandpa Campolin is already gone. Once the Beltrames go, I fear the whole "cottage industry" of auto-cutlers to collapse, especially as asia continues to pirate/forge their work.

If those who are holding the work of the old guys continue to do so, the value of their collections can only increase. Especially in the case of the 5mm pieces Frank builds for Walt, as well as the limited editions put out in recent years. If only I had Dave Sause's (I Like Stilettos) mountain of money so I could stock up and hoard in advance of the future. Dave personally told me that he has 'em stacked like a cord of firewood next to his barcalounger <g>! :mrgreen: