Have you any special knives planned for 2018?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Fishtail Picklock

Have you any special knives planned for 2018?

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

I would like to have someone rebuild mt late father's Latama from modern materials. (Yeah, I know that I have mentioned this before, and I'll have to save my pennies to have someone do it). The Fishtail Picklock is a "working knife" but it is sentimental in value. I learned so much from the Old Salt, that when his Latama disappeared, I was heartbroken. :o :cry:

Modern sailors use different knives, but the old Latama style knife served so many "deck knife" functions that it isn't just a vestigial accouterment. *sigh* :roll:

Happy 2018, everyone!
Fishtail Picklock
METALGOD

Re: Have you any special knives planned for 2018?

Post by METALGOD »

have you ever seen or held the modern fishtail picklocks ? they are supposedly made from old tooling and are identical to originals from 1950's i myself have around half dozen 11 inchers in my collection (blondhorn,stag,blackhorn, brazilianhorn) . back many years ago i did a special run of 6-1/4" Fishtail picklocks with Oreste Dibon they were made with the best quality horn and stag and real mammoth ivory and sported red dot safety. for your knife i would have to say try Picklock Pat for that one hell he may have the pattern to it already (not sure if he saves patterns) but he would be the guy to duplicate it . the stuff the guy does is world class museum quality and he will make it in whatever type metal / materials you want .
Fishtail Picklock

I have a Blonde Horn Frank Beltrame 9 3/4" in my collection. It isn't terrible, but it isn't my dad's old Latama. I don't know how much Pat would charge to recreate dad's old knife. It was a 10 3/4" (5 7/8" Dark Buffalo Horn handle, 4 7/8" Carbon Steel blade) Latama. I would like the knife to sport either a 1095, 440C, or possibly ATS-34 steel clip point blade. I would prefer the blade to possess a Rc hardness of at least 58 or possibly 59. The idea of having my father's knife in an open-top holster on my hip is a comforting thought.

I still have my late father's Boatswain's Whistle, and I plan on donating it to the Astoria Maritime Museum, Astoria, Oregon. His last duty station was the Tonge Point Naval Station, (Now the Tongue Point Coast Guard/Job Corps station) about 4 1/4 miles east of Downtown Astoria Oregon. Tongue Point was a Naval Air Station during WW2 and a ship decommissioning station after the war. (It is also where Lewis and Clark first set foot in present-day Oregon). Father was mustered out in June of 1956, and the Naval Station closed in 1962.

There's a lot more I could tell you, but a great man died on 9/6/1975. He would have been 100 years old on 9/29/2017. Yes, he died just a scant 3 weeks before his 58th birthday. I was 20 years old. I sorely miss my hero.
Last edited by Fishtail Picklock on Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fishtail Picklock
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Scott, I have found the original Latama Fishtail picture and write up in the Latama Legend book and will email you a copy. Bernie is absolutely correct, these were 9-3/4", not 10-3/4". If reproductions from the original tooling are out there, those would be the most accurate, but you wanted the tradition and quality contemporary materials. I will press on creating an 11" version for you to review.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
Fishtail Picklock

Thanks, Dave. I guess being sentimental has its disadvantages. I just get that way sometimes.
Fishtail Picklock