Carrying a push button stilleto

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
djones

Carrying a push button stilleto

Post by djones »

Hello,
New member,quite impressed with this forum.
Have loved the Italian stilettos since a boy.
In the past, I have carried the non-push button stilettos quite a bit in my back pocket.
Now, that the push button stilettos are more easily available, I have tried to find a decent way to carry.
The safety lock is usually sort of reliable, but extremely slow to manipulate (compared to some of the more modern blades that open easily as soon as in the hand). I have tried to carry unlocked, but the knife eventually will open in my pocket and at the least fish hook itself into my pocket or at worst leave me with a nasty cut.
Realistically, for me, a push button stiletto is very slow to get into action.
Does anyone EDC a push button stiletto and how have they addressed these problems?

Hope everyone had a merry Christmas.
JulesVane

Re: Carrying a push button stilleto

Post by JulesVane »

Welcome djones and a very valid question. Reminds me of my 1st Rizzuto as a kid. I'd try to impress my friends with it only to find it deployed in my pocket. Awkward to pull out and losing the interest of my small audience nearly immediately. Wasn't a very impressive display lol. I try to collect many, but carry none, so not qualified to answer. But, I've read of carry in a suit (sport jacket) breast pocket or loose pocket, which doesn't help much if you're a jeans & t-shirt kinda' guy like myself. It's always nice to find a piece where the safety "works as intended", but trust it not lol. Again, great question and I'll be following along for answers for more qualified examples of carry. Happy Holidays!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
john

Post by john »

Flat button is a safe alternative to a stiletto with a safety. Also, Due Buoi makes a stiletto with a side safety that really works as intended.
Attachments
DSC00399.jpg
DSC00399.jpg (35.46 KiB) Viewed 5281 times
2012-10-19_0008.jpg
2012-10-19_0008.jpg (350.88 KiB) Viewed 5281 times
2012-10-19_0003.jpg
2012-10-19_0003.jpg (312.84 KiB) Viewed 5281 times
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Flat/flush buttons were tried on Pressbutton knives 120 years ago. He even designed a safety for the pressbuttons. Tell you anything?
If you are going to carry a stiletto, carry it in a sheath.
The Leverletto, or any lever lock, is a safe alternative for carry.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

As always, Bill makes a good point. Also, the leverlock design is inherently stronger than that of a stiletto and typically is more resistant to a knife developing blade play with use.

Jim
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

I LOVE that Due Bois "Thorn" forged blade stiletto. Its unique blade lock is quite special. The blade lock/release is quite strong, and since the blades are forged and well-assembled, it should provide excellent service.
Fishtail Picklock
john

Post by john »

I have to agree. Lever lock knives are sturdier knives than the sexy looking stiletto.

Due Buoi’s 712 is an outstanding leverlock knife. Even the low cost stiletto is very well made.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

Most real Italian stilettos these days have pretty good working safety, but it's all for naught if you're carrying in your back pocket - the safety is just a piece of metal that slides under the button to prevent its depression; if you sit on that not only will you ruin the safety but you probably won't be sitting comfortably again for a few days :P

I wouldn't recommend carrying a stiletto in your pants, if you must carry one put it in a jacket pocket or something. Additionally there isn't much to be said about its durability and overall usefulness for everyday tasks unless your job is to stab someone/thing all day long. A leverlock would be more practical from a safety standpoint but as neat as it looks I would not recommend the Leverletto as its S-Guards catch on things in your pocket...

Perhaps a Mikov leverlock would be more appropriate for everyday carry but if you simply must carry a push-button Italian knife I would have to direct you to Frank Beltrame's B-Stealth - higher quality steel and a hollow grind make its blade far more practical for everyday uses, no safety but because of how flush the button is with the handle, and how far down it must be pressed in order to deploy the blade, I have never had it go off in my pocket. Naturally I keep it secured to the top of my pocket with the pocket clip, if it were riding along loose with some keys, change and a zippo, I wouldn't recommend doing this with skinny jeans :lol:
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

your modern stilettos with the newer type button / safety to carry in your pocket you should always carry with safety on . The new stilettos like ( aga 10" and 13" picklocks) with the old style D-stamped rocker set up you really dont need to use safety at all because the sear is alot longer and requires you to push button down more to open blade so pretty safe to carry without them going off in your pocket but it all depends on where yoiu are carring the knife also as if its in a tight pocket any button style automatic is prone to opening but in a loose pocket the d-stamped knives will work best and be ready (safety off) to use on demand . the lever lock automatic knives would be safe to carry also without problem of them opening in pocket, from personal use i like the regular slim line leverlock over the leverletto as the leverletto has them guards on it that stick out the sides and get caught on what ever trying to pull it out of pocket , i had sold a bunch of leverlettos to some guys that work in a factory here wher i live and few months go by and friend stops over show me him and everyone in the shop (about 6 workers) ground off the guards stating they got in the way so i was like dude i could have got you ones without the guards but too late they already ground them off lol , if im not mistaken the slim line and leverletto are same knife just different top bolsters . years ago Hubertus knives were the best leverlocks but i guess quality has gone down quite a bit on them , i have bunch old ones from late 1980s and early 90s and real good quality but havent seen any new ones lately. i have seen and have the russian leverlock/backlock and it is badd ass everything on it is hi-grade stainless steel (liners,bolsters,lever,) superior blade steel like ats-34 and sports walnut handles man if you havent seen these new Russian Leverlocks you need to check one out you will be impressed for sure and check this out every one i seen has scary spring action to, it surely impressed me enough to keep 2 for my collection :D , and best of all is price of them i think they go for around 100 bucks or so :)
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

Bernie, you really ought to post a complete album of your collection, I bet you've amassed an incredible display over the however many decades you've been wheeling and dealing :D

Funny story about the leverlettos, I gave one to a guy in my workplace and he had a similar issue with the bolsters - they kept getting tangled around his earbud cords in his pocket; he wasn't frustrated enough to grind them off, though... another guy said he'd carry a leverletto if it had a pocket clip. I've seen leverlettos with clips before but truth be told I was highly suspicious of them being clones... too bad the Zero is so damn pricey.
Fishtail Picklock

Luke: The B Stealth is a nice knife, but the SOG Spec-Elite II auto is far more practical and is from Washington State. If you're looking for a higher-end "practical" automatic, I would head in this direction. (BTW, Blade Play has some nice Ganzo autos that are made for EDC). I know, I own one.
Last edited by Fishtail Picklock on Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fishtail Picklock
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

$120 is out of my price range for something that's gonna get beat up but it certainly does look like a nicer knife. Probably with better steel, too. Not that I've had any issue with the B-Stealth or B-Naked holding an edge, and I cut through quite a bit of thick poly-banding on a daily basis.

I have always wanted to check out a Ganzo, but the ultra-low price made me wary. Now that you vouch for it, perhaps I'll pick one up, thanks!
Fishtail Picklock

Be advised that the Ganzo knives are an outstanding value for the dollar. Thier "440C" steel seems to be 9Cr18Mov steel. The 719 has a clip point and holds a great edge. (I like mine). Schrade has an Assisted Opening OTF using AUS-8 steel. (my tanto-blade model holds a razor-sharp edge).

Even Bill DeShivs bout his secretary a Ganzo. I don't think that he would waste money on junk. This should tell you something.
Fishtail Picklock
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Fishtail Picklock wrote:Luke: The B Stealth is a nice knife, but the SOG Spec-Elite II auto is far more practical and is from Washington State. If you're looking for a higher-end "practical" automatic, I would head in this direction. (BTW, Blade Play has some nice Ganzo autos that are made for EDC). I know, I own one.
Bladeplay is out.
2024 candidate for president
Fishtail Picklock

These sell out so quickly because they are so good.
Fishtail Picklock