D-stamped Pic Lock Switchblade ID Help

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ruccello

D-stamped Pic Lock Switchblade ID Help

Post by ruccello »

HI, I'm new to the forum. I picked this knife up at a tag sale recently and I can't find much information about it. It's a pick lock and it's got a D-stamped liner on one side only, and liners are brass. It's marked Made Italy, and the number 6. The knife is about 8.5" long, and the blade is about 4+ inches. The handle is horn. Bolsters are nickel. The blade has been sharpened quite a bit. This knife looks like it's been in a few fights. There are serrations on the top of the blade that look like they were added later. There are also two notches that were filed into the handle - not sure why, but I have suspicions. The blade is very sharp and pointy, and I think it was probably about 1/2" longer because of the amount of space left in the handle - about 1/2". The knife works really well, the spring mechanism is really strong. It also locks perfectly. My questions are: Should I clean this knife and polish it up? Does anyone have any more information about this knife, maker etc. Any ideas on the notches on the handle? And lastly, what value you would place on it?
Thanks,
Richard
Attachments
IMG_2744.jpg
IMG_2744.jpg (25.49 KiB) Viewed 4657 times
IMG_2743.jpg
IMG_2743.jpg (24.25 KiB) Viewed 4657 times
IMG_2742.jpg
IMG_2742.jpg (32.39 KiB) Viewed 4657 times
IMG_2741.jpg
IMG_2741.jpg (27.53 KiB) Viewed 4657 times
IMG_2741-1.jpg
IMG_2741-1.jpg (26.85 KiB) Viewed 4657 times
IMG_2739.jpg
IMG_2739.jpg (29.66 KiB) Viewed 4657 times
IMG_2737.jpg
IMG_2737.jpg (28.68 KiB) Viewed 4657 times
JulesVane

Re: D-stamped Pic Lock Switchblade ID Help

Post by JulesVane »

Wow! Not able to add much info on the knife, but when I saw the blade, it scared me! lol Almost looks like someone tried to turn it into a key. Cool tag sale find! Hope some of the fine members here can help out...

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
redeye

Post by redeye »

1950s picklock ,made in Maniago Italy . Looks like it was a teenaged thugs (“Rumble Knife”) .Bored most of the time so he customized it by way oversharpening and almost destrying the blade with a file. If that knife could talk it would tell some cool tales. A real piece of Italian spring steel history that is not really worth a lot of cash but has way cool bragging rights swag all over it.
I am the KING of LATAMA collectors HAHAHAHAHAHAHA {EVIL LAUGH}
ruccello

Post by ruccello »

Thanks for the info redeye. I especially like the 2 filed notches on the scale - real cowboyesque! I've heard of the Maniago cottage industry, and thought this was probably made there. I'm more intrigued with the story this knife has to tell. I wish I new it's history. Thanks again.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

It was made by Mauro Mario company in Maniago.
The blade is ruined.
Anyone can cut notches in a handle to be "cool." I wouldn't put too much stock in anything else.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

So that's where my old knife went.
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

DAMN !!! looks like someone tried making a fish scaler on the back, or a little tickler as he pulled the blade out of a ""JET" or it was customized by Bear Gryles as a survilival saw back knife :roll: :roll: :roll:
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
lance

Post by lance »

Yep looks like a old manigo stiletto thats had a hell of a rough life,not worth much..maybe a parts knife.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Somewhere out there, there is a good 9" MI blade that needs a good handle.
john

Post by john »

It’s a damn shame what they did to that blade. The knicks on the handle can be repaired. But that blade is gone for sure. They turned a valuable vintage Italian stiletto into a worthless object. Does anyone have a spare MM blade?
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Perhaps Bill DeShivs can make a MM blade (etch or stamp it) and replace it. A good polish job on the rest of the unit and you would have something worth keeping.
Fishtail Picklock
redeye

Post by redeye »

Fishtail Picklock wrote:Perhaps Bill DeShivs can make a MM blade (etch or stamp it) and replace it. A good polish job on the rest of the unit and you would have something worth keeping.

That would be unethical and fakery. Bill Deshivs would never do that.
I am the KING of LATAMA collectors HAHAHAHAHAHAHA {EVIL LAUGH}
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

No, unless he was attempting to sell the item as original it would be restoration. Restoration is one thing, falsifying it on the market is quite another.
Fishtail Picklock
john

Post by john »

I can’t imagine anyone putting Mario's name on a replacement blade.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed