Size matters

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
DavidSnell

Size matters

Post by DavidSnell »

Good morning all,

Thank you so much for the feedback on my previous query over the past week or so.

I have yet another intriguing question - why did flick knife manufacturers back in the day make so many different sizes from short sword lenght to minute? I can understand smallest size being a novelty keyring, but sizes like my Itallian FBR being 160mm?

My conclusion is that manufacturers (and perhaps purchasers) wanted a flick knife that is easily concealed, yet kept look and functionality of "normal" size.

Your opinions?
Last edited by DavidSnell on Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
David Snell
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Size matters

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Variety is the spice of life.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
john

Post by john »

Child size all the way to adult size.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
lance

Post by lance »

Different people have different size hands, if. Got sm hands a 13" is like a sword.if ya got big hands a 9" is like a toothpick.diffent sizes means theres something for everyone.+ they were toys to the old guys.they were counting on us americans being enamored with them and collecting all the sizes we could find..and boy were they right!!
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

lance wrote:Different people have different size hands, if. Got sm hands a 13" is like a sword.if ya got big hands a 9" is like a toothpick. different sizes means there's something for everyone.+ they were toys to the old guys.they were counting on us Americans being enamored with them and collecting all the sizes we could find..and boy were they right!!
Right on all counts.
Fishtail Picklock
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

People were smaller back then.
ILikeStilettos

Re: Size matte

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Many laws say a 3-1/2" blade or shorter is legal, longer is not. Urban legend says that means the smaller size will not reach a life threatening internal organ. I'm a fat guy, but I still don't want to test the theory.

I'm told 11's are the most popular size and I have smallish hands and short fingers. When I fire an 11", the pommel pin abrades my palm and the knife feels ready to slip out ... so I am insecure in my grip. Oddly, a 13" is long enough that my entire grip is used and some handle even sticks out. They feel more solid to me. 13's, even hard hitting ones, are just a tiny bit slower than 11's. This is all personal opinion and conjecture. However, I have more 13's than anything else, and that's where most of my designs start. It's a personal bias, and not the common one.

I love my 460 HP Corvette, though I rarely engage more than a fraction of that. Most folks have less on tap, and some guys require more, much more. Thank God, we don't all choose the same things! Vive la difference!
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

I favor the 11" for personal carry, but a 9" handily slips into a tight shirt breast pocket for unobtrusive, yet easily deployable carry. (I saw it in a movie once). Dropping either a 9 or 11-inch needle-point stiletto into a sports jacket or blazer pocket is handy and provides for a nasty surprise for some horse's rump that's feeling violently "frisky".
Fishtail Picklock
VOSGTC

Post by VOSGTC »

provides for a nasty surprise for some horse's rump that's feeling violently "frisky".

I've got a Kel-Tec P-32 in a holster wallet that is ALWAYS in my right rear pocket. It carrys like a regualr wallet, and is legal. The whole set up cost less that some of the knives I've seen lately.
VOSGTC
Votin’ Out Spoken Gun Totin’ Conservative
Jay Blade

Post by Jay Blade »

9" is the smallest I can deal with but I do have large hands so I find an 11" a perfect fit.