Ornate knife from my friend, Gulraiz Akram

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ILikeStilettos

Ornate knife from my friend, Gulraiz Akram

Post by ILikeStilettos »

I've been making references to a knife that I was having made for a while now and it finally came. I've had it for a couple weeks but just got around to photographing it. Before I reveal the actual knife, let me explain a bit about where the inspiration came from.

When I saw this knife I thought that the shapes could be incorporated into an automatic, perhaps with an exposed rocker replacing part of that central rib on the front side.

Then I saw this one and thought, "What stunning file work and great double liners!" So that went into my mixing bowl.

Then I saw this gorgeous fixed blade knife with elegant engraving.

So I approached Gulraiz using FB Messenger about building me a 13" switchblade with all of those features. It would have all NS hardware and pins, a polished D2 blade, and dark horn scales. He responded, "No problem, I can do that for you and have it ready in 20 days." I didn't believe the time schedule, but I worked up a CAD design with a lockback and a different blade grind (sort of a half dagger) and sent him templates via DHL (which cost $45!) and by January 31st, he was ready to begin. I privately planned to give him all the time he needed. This kind of work takes lots of time and I coined the name, Ornate. I'm glad I was patient, because Gul built me a world class and unique knife. For being only 27 years old this past month, the guy has talent in abundance. I have more wild and crazy projects in mind and they will be coming along as well.

So here's what we came up with, 13-3/16" long (33,5 cm), a bit under 9/16" thick (13,5 mm, not counting the button) and 3/4" wide (19 mm) at the ricasso. It has a 4mm thick blade and is about 7/8" wide (22,2 mm) at the front bolster. It weighs only 11 oz. (311 g.) It's a big knife, but very nimble.

It fires perfectly and locks up with minimal play at the point. It's not a fast knife, as is the issue with many big ones and Gul and I are working on that aspect. It's a minimal issue for a display knife that will be stored open and cherished for many years, I hope. We ended up not doing the exposed rocker, but I think that was a good choice; it would have been out of character for such a refined piece of art.

I joke that this knife "has been engraved and fileworked within an inch of its life", but literally everywhere you look you see that master cutler hands have decorated and embellished. Sometimes "over the top" is the only way to go.

The sear hole goes all the way through and Gul has cleverly incorporated it into the engraving. I asked him to sign his work, but being the modest guy he is, he didn't. I'm just blown away with this piece. It's absolutely one of my favorite knives, and certainly the prettiest.

I hadn't mentioned anything about the spine of the blade, so I was just awed what he did with it. He managed to keep a tiny plain edge on both sides to frame the engraving. WOW!

In Gul's culture it is believed to be sacrilege to do perfect work, that is left to God, so there's usually a tiny, deliberate flaw. Can you see it?

This should end the discussion for once and all about poor Pakistani quality and shoddy workmanship. I am pleased beyond words with Gul's rendering of my design and he has certainly gone the extra mile to make me a satisfied and faithful customer, as well as friend.

Your comments and questions are appreciated. Thanks again for listening.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
Jackalope

Re: Ornate knife from my friend, Gulraiz Akram

Post by Jackalope »

Everyone has different taste. All that matters is that you are happy with what you got for the money you paid.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Real lookers!
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

The pics. wouldn't come up on my phone.
2024 candidate for president
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Dave...That knife is TRULY a work of art! My simple mind can't even fathom who, how, where, what to begin such work. Not the foggiest notion in me noggin'. You sound like you're a proud, new Daddy and THAT makes me VERY happy! Congratulations! For you to describe this piece as your "prettiest" one? That's GOT to be tough. I've only been here for a short time, and you have posted some beautiful pieces that lots could only dream of. Add this to the rest of your beauties, enjoy a beverage and bask in the glow! For who deserves it more?

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

I see the pics. now. Dave, you should adopt him and bring him home!!!!!
2024 candidate for president
DonC

Post by DonC »

Wowzer! A truly impressive example of detailed workmanship. A true keeper. Hat's off to you and Gul.
DonC
daddyloko

Post by daddyloko »

Dave, you keep amazing us some very unique knives.
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

JulesVane wrote:Dave...That knife is TRULY a work of art! My simple mind can't even fathom who, how, where, what to begin such work. Not the foggiest notion in me noggin'. You sound like you're a proud, new Daddy and THAT makes me VERY happy! Congratulations! For you to describe this piece as your "prettiest" one? That's GOT to be tough. I've only been here for a short time, and you have posted some beautiful pieces that lots could only dream of. Add this to the rest of your beauties, enjoy a beverage and bask in the glow! For who deserves it more?
If someone mentioned your true first name, I've forgotten it and didn't make a note, so ... Thanks, Jules. I have a Facebook group called "Artistic Switchblade Knives" which exists simply to promote the art side of these pieces, and like all art, some will love it and some will hate it, some will be mundane and some will be extreme. The art is intended to cause an emotional response. In this case I showed you what the inspiration was, I just assembled it and threw in enough engineering to make it work, Gul provided all the talent and craftsmanship.

I also know that what I like is a small niche in a niche hobby. I gravitate toward friends who share my fascination. Both Duke and Gul have told me independently that they don't want to build the same old same old, and even if the challenge drives them bonkers, it's exactly what keeps life interesting for them. So, if there's a particular knife you have desired, or thought of in your heart of hearts, reach out to me. I'd love to visualize it for you in a design, and I do this just for the pleasure of it. From there you can either have someone build it, or use one of my pals, or just print and frame it for the wall.

I understand and agree with your comment about "prettiest". I do have some unique and wonderful knives, some with artistic flair, others with great scales, some from stars that have passed like Don Hall, Killbucket, Malan ... but this knife has more purely artistic features than all of them. Any given person confronted with all the contenders might pick another knife as the prettiest, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I will say this in all candor, it's the prettiest one for me YET. You haven't seen everything and some of it is on the virtual drawing board, and some is a half-formed idea in my head. Only time will tell, and if the good Lord decides my time is up, then someone else will have to pick up the gauntlet and run with it. At least I have some legacy to show so far. I also have four grandsons, they will inherit some great pieces. I can only hope they will cherish them as I have.

Best regards to you, my friend.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Jackalope, Whippersnapper, Sammy, DonC, Daddyloko:

Thanks for the vote of confidence, gentlemen. And Abe, that's what I exist for ... inspiration!
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

WOW , My god man that is truly an awesome looking knife 13" Dave , the work put into that is unreal , im truly blown away. ive seen lots of "art" knives if you want to call it that but this is tops for sure , the filework on blade backspring liners is world class, love the bolsters too wow this knife ROCKS bro lol
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

METALGOD wrote:WOW , My god man that is truly an awesome looking knife 13" Dave , the work put into that is unreal , im truly blown away. ive seen lots of "art" knives if you want to call it that but this is tops for sure , the filework on blade backspring liners is world class, love the bolsters too wow this knife ROCKS bro lol
Thanks, Bernie.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Dave
Not been on here much of late as you know.
Glad i stumbled on this post as that is a really fine one off knife.
The sheer amount of work that has been put in is clearly evident ,as is the attention to detail .
A lot of man hours went into this piece of art .
The blade is beautifully engraved and i like the new half grind dagger shape which allowed this adornment . I love the attention to detail on this badboy,
A nice unusual design shape with the fanned top bolster that i have witnessed on french lock knives before ,and to top it all a 13 " size giving it a great heft and feel i'll wager.
You have found a good ally in your design and knife collecting passion with Gul and i wish you both success with your further exploits,wbich knowing you sir will be already on the boil.
This guy will improve more with age ,not that he needs to ....you just do.
Beauty of a knife Dave thanks for sharing yet another unique piece of art.

All the best to you and Gul

Ian