Catching up

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
DonC

Catching up

Post by DonC »

Was just poking around old posts and noticed I’ve been pretty remiss in posting over the past year. Been a lot going on so I sort of got out of the habit. I’ll try to bring things up to date here. In my defense I haven’t been very active of late so there isn’t a whole lot.

First up is an AGA 13 from the 2002 run produced by them. I don’t have a COA for the knife so I’m not sure if it’s an original from the run or a copy but either way they are by far my favorite 13’s.There have been some posts indicating that some of the pieces suffered from poor built quality but of the 14 of them I have there isn’t a clunker in the bunch. Build quality and material selection on all that I have is top notch.

Next up is a no name Kriss I picked up from the SD Auction that I went after just for the scales. It’s a 13 with a 4mm blade and back spring with nickel silver bolsters. It’s a modern swivel bolster which aren’t very high on my list these days but this one is a well done piece. Heavier than the 3mm examples and the scales have been contoured to match the curve of the bolsters (an aspect that I consider the be an important indicator of quality) in modern knives.

Here’s a 13” Wandy I picked up at the Oregon Knife Show last April. It falls into the transitional category with D stamped liners, a short throw safety and two piece kick spring along with the tang stamp. It’s a 5mm blade and back spring and has the weighty feel that’s so typical of the knives that fall into that genre. For whatever reason they just feel more solid when you pick them up.

Another acquisition from the Oregon show last year was this Walt’s 11” Abalone swivel bolster with his 5mm blade and back spring. This one has one piece liners on the swivel side of the knife rather than the more common unlined or two piece liners.
As is always the case when I try to photograph Abalone the photos don’t do the material justice.

Right up there with the highlights for my year was the acquisition of one of Renzo Pascatto’s 11” Wasp 5mm Pick Locks. He always turns out absolutely top notch pieces and his build quality and materials are, to my mind, as good as things get in the modern world of stilettos. I have a number of his pieces and they are all great. I collect these things more as art than anything else and I’m proud to own them.

Picked up an 11” BO/BC Stag from the auction as well. I prefer the older stag that’s had a chance to darken in age and done by someone who took their time fitting the scales so they don’t have to be shaved excessively. I don’t have that many in stag simply because I don’t like the raw look that shaving creates. Again, in the more modern examples, it appears to me that in many of them the producer didn’t take the time to take advantage of the material that was there to produce a more finished appearing product. When done correctly, to my eye, stag can be a really attractive material.

Finally found one that I’d been looking for for a while (I think).
This is a transitional 11” swivel bolster with D stamp liners but a one piece kicker/back spring and a swedge blade grind. I’d like to say it’s from the Tarry Levigne house from France due to the Salamander over the word Import on the tang stamp which I understand identified pieces from that producer. There isn’t a whole lot published on the producer but I think this is one of theirs.

As a side note I don’t think I’ve ever posted this one. I got it from Danny Baily during one of my visits to his place and managed to talk him into selling it to me.( I think my crying might have made him feel sorry for me)
It’s a 12” AGA Siciliano done in 5mm which was uncommon for them to make in this style and size.

Lastly I told Dave that I’d re-shoot my oversize tray which includes the Sardinian Lelle Floris. My display trays are set up to take up to 13” conventional stilettos so anything longer than that goes in the oversize tray.

From top to bottom they are:
13” no name swing guard. Another purchase from Danny Baily when I was looking of a 13” swinger to round out my group.
13.5” Renso Pascatto Frosalone from one of his limited runs.
A 15” Swivel Bolster AGA
The Lelle Floris 13+” from Sardinia.
18” AGA Anniversary Swivel Bolster with Damascus blade.

That’s about it for the past year for new stuff. As I mentioned there have been a lot of other things going on that have taken my attention away from the pointy shiny things. Hope this year gives me a little more time to spend chasing these critters.

DonC
Last edited by DonC on Mon May 15, 2017 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tom19176

Re: Catching up

Post by Tom19176 »

Very Nice additions!!!!!
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Fantastic Don!!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
lance

Post by lance »

Those are cool as cash don!! I have a couple sister knives to yours.i just got a 5mm stag wandy,a 11" stag b.o.b.c. and a transitional like yours too.
Those are awesome. Don thanks for sharing i gotta figure out how to post on here
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Don
Absolutely staggering knives 8)

I absolutely love the BOBC stag ,the scales are just off the chart .
I love the lizard import and Wandy transitional knives ,i am not finding many older italians this side of the pond and if they come up they fetch a lot of money.

I am still a novice in modern switchblades but i am coming round to them,especially when I see examples like the ones you have posted by AGA and Pascutto .
I didn't even know the 13.5 "existed ...If you ever sell any from that tray like the sardinian :) please keep this humble Brit in mind.

Also you should run a polishing service for switchblades because yours always look the business with that demon shine :)
Magnificent knives and great learning tools ,thanks for sharing them with us mate.
I hope your well

Regards
gravknife
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

DonC wrote: Lastly I told Dave that I’d re-shoot my oversize tray which includes the Sardinian Lelle Floris. My display trays are set up to take up to 13” conventional stilettos.

DonC
Your stuff is always spectacular, so thanks for the update.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

gravknife wrote:If you ever sell any from that tray like the sardinian :) please keep this humble Brit in mind.

Regards
gravknife
I have a couple I could send you if you want to run that particular guantlet.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

You certainly made up for any absence, Don. Great pictures of some great knives.
DonC

Post by DonC »

Thanks to everyone who took the time to look and comment. Means a lot.
Lance: Keep looking. The older Italians do show up from time to time on the auction but they do tend to be a bit more expensive than the others.
DonC
hearandgone

Post by hearandgone »

Nice!
lance

Post by lance »

Thanks don i will certainly keep my eyes peeled!!
mick17

Post by mick17 »

Everything I could say about those beauties has already been said. Absolutely fantastic pieces you have there, please continue to share anything you acquire Don!

On a side note- I really hope AGA produces more of those 13 inch picklocks soon.