horn (handle) care

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
SteveM

horn (handle) care

Post by SteveM »

is there a way to properly care for horn handled knives. I was looking through the collection the other day and noticed a knife I've had for a few years the honey horn scales are warping bad so bad it popped a pin out. This isn't an old knife a modern Frank B swing guard. I keep all my knives together and didn't notice any other problems I do keep my knives in my basement so the humidity changes with the season. this just caused me to wonder if there was anything I could or should do for my horn handled knives. also I've read about bug bites before is there actually a bug that eats horn if so how do I keep them away
sammy the blade

Re: horn (handle) care

Post by sammy the blade »

Raid
2024 candidate for president
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

Never had any problem with bugs, so have no idea what to do on that, but try using some mink oil on the horn, never had any problem with warping using that.
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
sammy the blade

I was joking about raid, I would imagine some type of an oil would scare off the bugs. You could for sure find something on the net about it.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

raid might actually work to keep bugs away but I wouldn't spray it on a knife maybe on a rag and keep the rag in the case. what I was hoping for was somebody would know a home remedy like moth balls or something that also would not cause any chemical reactions with the metal parts of the knife but protect the horn. But you're right probably could find information on the net. And thanks for the mink oil recommendation Tequiza
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Just put a coat of paste wax or neutral paste shoe polish on the handles occasionally.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Wally J. Corpse
Level Zero: True Jerk

Post by Wally J. Corpse »

Greetings, Mr. SteveM-

Some folks actually prefer a lil' warpedness to their horn handles, just search 'Imitation Horn' thread herein the hysterical archives, and you may almost practically maybe see the value of warping AS endeared by our own fallen Dopey Fish Head guy.

AS ever,

your ol' pal,

Wally J. Corpse
'
sammy the blade

The late Dopey Fish Head guy, he's in the big Milano in the sky just smoking all he wants now. May he rest in peace, miss you jerr!
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Bill DeShivs wrote:Just put a coat of paste wax or neutral paste shoe polish on the handles occasionally.
does the wax/polish keep bugs away or just help prevent warping
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

It probably just seals the surface. This can help with warping.
Wax does not deter dermestids-the bugs that eat horn (carpet beetles.)
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

I am wondering if different types of horn require different types of care or attention? i.e. does ram and cattle horn degrade faster then, say, stag? I know certain kinds of woods are more susceptible to splitting or swelling than other types depending on the environment they are stored in (for example, snakewood just likes to split, in my experience both with cutlery and other projects, this seems like an inevitability, especially if it's thin; low temperatures seem to expedite this process).

Also, this next question is semi-off topic, but can someone please tell me the difference between knives with scales being marketed as "horn" vs "Brazillian horn" ? There must be something other than "this horn originates from Brazil, and other horns don't" - at first I assumed that perhaps there is a color difference, but some Brazillian horn looks very similar to .... "other" horns... what am I missing here?

Sorry but I'm new to horn and stag scales, mostly collected woods and acrylics in the past.

Thanks in advance for any advice/info anyone here can give!! :D
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
omega

Post by omega »

Luke:

"Brazilian" refers to the high-contrast horn containing muli-colors. Most commonly black, grey, white and occasional streaks of yellow. Who knows where the material comes from or if it really has any basis in Brazil.
bigfatross

Post by bigfatross »

I had a similar question a while ago. The topic was "What do they feed cows in Brazil? Scales/Handles" or you can copy and paste
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23811&p=263915#p263915
I think that will get you there.
Ross