Knife age ,maker?

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
gravknife

Knife age ,maker?

Post by gravknife »

Bill
Ive a chance of buying a knife that I like the looks of,but I cant id it and find a country of origin as its unmarked.
It looks as sturdily built as a lever but has a pointy blade .
I had it pegged as European but would love to know its age and origins.
I hope someone can help.

Thanks in advance
Ian
Attachments
14f09b8683fcef9bc43ab998341dcff2d.jpg
14f09b8683fcef9bc43ab998341dcff2d.jpg (49.9 KiB) Viewed 6504 times
1b370e7f93999c62a75461df5baba4c3e.jpg
1b370e7f93999c62a75461df5baba4c3e.jpg (48.6 KiB) Viewed 6504 times
JimBrown257

Re: Knife age ,maker?

Post by JimBrown257 »

It's a homemade. It's not very tidy but it looks like it should work okay. It's actually kind of cool. It seems like the maker had intended it to be a swinger but didn't go through with the guards. It's interesting that it appears to have been a user.

I also think the scales were existing scales from a manual knife as they look more professionally done than the rest of it. I'd guess the backlock and kickspring/base were also pre-existing.
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Thanks for your help Jim.
Thats why I couldnt find any similar.
Its unmarked and claiming to be 1930s.
I may leave it if its a homemade as its too expensive.
Hope your well mate

Ian
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Lol, it's not from the 30s. But I wouldn't necessarily think the seller is intentionally lying or trying to be misleading. A lot of times, Estate Sale collectors and that sort will come across some random knife. Then they try to find some info about it by asking experts but then end up totally misunderstanding what they were told (or just hearing what they wanted to hear). So they come away thinking they have some 100 year old knife worth thousands of dollars.

One of the worst things for collectors is that there is this one infamous site that, to a non-collector, it can seem like a legitimate site selling vintage autos. But the prices are all 100x more than any reasonable person has ever paid for such a knife. So you will fine these non-collectors on places like Ebay who will be like "I did my homework, I know this 9" Rizzuto is worth $899!!" It screws everybody because no collector gets to buy the knife and the seller never can sell his knife. And worse the seller thinks everyone who was offering him reasonable prices was trying to rip him off.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The entire knife is hand made. It's possible it is a Soviet prison-made knife, but they are usually a little more refined than this one.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
john

Post by john »

Unless it's really cheap don't buy it. Personally I would not buy it if it even if it was really cheap. It is an interesting knife. Jerry's probably right the maker collected parts from knives and put it together. Bills right too I don't think it's a Soviet Russian Jail knife. It looks well made it appears to have done quite a bit of work. Save your money and buy a nice Italian.
John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The hardest part of a knife to make is the blade. The blade is hand made.There are no factory parts visible on that knife.
It is 100% hand made.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Thanks Bill ,John and Jim
I am leaving it .I've nothing against handmade knives but I've a few marked knives I'd buy before it.
Just intrigued by the design and lock back,sort of a bitsa this and that in its design.
Thanks for the advice

Ian
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

IT'S QUIRKIE, IT'S ODD, I LIKE IT. I'D BUY IT FOR $25 .
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Yeah, for $25 bucks I would buy it to, but I'm betting the seller thinks it is priceless...lol
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

I might go up to $45 on it if the seller said it was functioning properly and had no big issues. It's kind of cool, as far as amateur handmade knives go.

I'm interested in finding out what it does sell for so you will have to keep us updated.
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Jim
This knife is on buy it now at 120 euros .
Its cool but way overpriced ,he's adamant it's from the 30s ,thank god I joined here.
Hope your all well.
Ian
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

It is what it is, and it doesn't matter when it was made.
georgyboy

Post by georgyboy »

I WOULD buy it at 120 euros,think of all the work