Are you tired of the stigma attached to "switchblade"?

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Fishtail Picklock

Are you tired of the stigma attached to "switchblade"?

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

We all realize that the common nomenclature (in polite circles is "automatic" or "auto" knife). How many tire of the "evil" connotation attached to the word "switchblade"? :!: :shock: :x

I know I am.
Fishtail Picklock
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Are you tired of the stigma attached to "switchblade"?

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Most people these days don't even know what a switchblade is.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Fishtail Picklock wrote:We all realize that the common nomenclature (in polite circles is "automatic" or "auto" knife). How many tire of the "evil" connotation attached to the word "switchblade"? :!: :shock: :x

I know I am.
WHAT BROUGHT THIS ON?
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

Where I come from (charlotte NC) no one really seems to care or notice as long as it's a side opener, OTFs sometimes get a weird look or a question but most people still assume that they are some kind of unique box cutter type system and rarely assume they are illegal.

The only people who have ever given me hell for having a "switchblade" were always over the age of 40, not making any judgements but I think hte younger generation does not have the same opinion of switchblades, probably because of less exposure. Even Italian stiletto style knives are generally assumed to just be expensive or rare, not "banned" or "bad"
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
Fishtail Picklock

JerrBear wrote:
Fishtail Picklock wrote:We all realize that the common nomenclature (in polite circles is "automatic" or "auto" knife). How many tire of the "evil" connotation attached to the word "switchblade"? :!: :shock: :x

I know I am.
WHAT BROUGHT THIS ON?
It has been nearly 57 years since the Interstate Commerce Commission (and the Department Of Justice) banned the interstate mailing/shipping of "switchblade knives" to the general public, giving them the "forbidden fruit" status. The "sheeple" still gnaw on this "old bone" that has since been amplified by West Side Story and other lurid tales of gang violence involving the "thug knife from the ghetto.".

THAT'S "what brought this on."

Fishtail Picklock
Fishtail Picklock
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

It has been nearly 57 years since the Interstate Commerce Commission (and the Department Of Justice) banned the interstate mailing/shipping of "switchblade knives" to the general public, giving them the "forbidden fruit" status. The "sheeple" still gnaw on this "old bone" that has since been amplified by West Side Story and other lurid tales of gang violence involving the "thug knife from the ghetto.".

THAT'S "what brought this on."
Same reason my .380 Taurus TCP pistol that I like to carry on occasion is still called a "Saturday Night Special". Apparently because a pistol is small and inexpensive it must be somehow "EVIL"
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
Rave

Post by Rave »

Telling it like it is. The ignorance of people concerning these knives,including LEO's that so
strongly condemn them is incredable!
I really wish a well connected attourney would take that original interstate lawto court and press it to the end! :x
Fishtail Picklock

"Saturday Night Specials" were primarily die-cast Zinc framed revolvers and pistols chambered in .22 l.r., .25 ACP and .32 ACP. While quite serviceable (for the short-term) their "service life" wasn't really designed to span decades, as are quality handguns. They were primarily to serve those of limited means, and save their life in the event of a personal attack at short range.
Fishtail Picklock
Fishtail Picklock

Let's face it, "ignorance is the lowest common demominator of the 'sheeple'". The 'sheeple' look to the Federal Government to tell them what is "safe" and how to let the authorities keep them that way. Since the Ladies Home Companion printed the article "The Toy That Kills" in 1950 the U S Government kept pushing legislation that volates the spirit of the Second Amendment of The Bill Of Rights

This infringement was "the beginning of the end".
Fishtail Picklock
Rave

Post by Rave »

Thanks for the info Fishtail,it's been a long time but the band keeps on playing the same old song. 8) :mrgreen:
Fishtail Picklock

Same old tune, different choir & orchestra. It's all part of Federal Control, and hasn't a damned thing to do with personal safety or security. In fact, such infringements damage/hinder both safety and security!

Martial on for the right to self-defense and the security of both home and family.
Fishtail Picklock
Straydog 5247

Post by Straydog 5247 »

Bill DeShivs wrote:Most people these days don't even know what a switchblade is.
Yep !... I reckon "switchblade" is a baby boomer thing ! :D ....My grandsons didn't know what they were :shock:

Dawg
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Here's a good link to follow knife laws and current changes around the country.
http://www.kniferights.org/
“The difference between involvement and commitment is like ham and eggs. The chicken is involved; the pig is committed.”
daddyloko

Post by daddyloko »

Fellas, don't you think someone needs to do a serious video documentary of the master custom knife builders of the Switchblade community? I think video production would be less costlier than being published in a book. DVD and digital download can be easier to promote and be marketed at various venues. People really need to see the talents, labors and masterpieces that makes our hobby so cherishable and desireable. Maybe then, the stigma of the "evil" Switchblade can be put to rest. After all, If marijuana can be made legal and recreational, why not switchblades...
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Knife Rights is doing a good job. More states have legalized switchblades than have marijuana.
Automatic knives are commonly sold in many states that have restrictions.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.