D Stamped Liners

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
The Reverend Sharp

D Stamped Liners

Post by The Reverend Sharp »

Hi Bill, I'm making new Liners/Scales/Trigger and Bolsters for an 11'' Renzo P Frosolone. I have a set to copy.

I'm wondering if you have a method of D Stamping Liners or at least making the semi-circular cuts ?

I would like to make them as close as possible to the originals........
ILikeStilettos

Re: D Stamped Liners

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Hey Chris, I thought you'd disappeared from the face of the planet!
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
daddyloko

Post by daddyloko »

Yea, I thought maybe something as well had befallen you Rev. Great to see you at work again.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

You can make the cuts with a tiny drill bit and a jewelers saw, but it doesn't work well in practice.
It's a lot better to make the brackets separately and pin them in.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

The Reverend Sharp wrote:Hi Bill, I'm making new Liners/Scales/Trigger and Bolsters for an 11'' Renzo P Frosolone. I have a set to copy.
Hi Chris! Glad you are still spreading the good word. Was concerned you had gone on an extended sabbatical or even a retreat. :?

My question is why are you making these new parts? Did the existing ones have a problem? I ask as I have a couple of these in different sizes. Is there a problem I should be aware of? I await your homily on this topic with anxious anticipation!

David
The Reverend Sharp

Thanks Bill; I hadn't thought of Pinned or maybe Soldered Brackets; good tip.

I guess the Italians had a Hand Stamp like a Hole Punch kind of thing they used; the little workshops in Italy would have been very hands on; you need a tool, you make a tool. Wonder what Renzo uses...........

Hi Guys!! Yep, I'm still here, working away in the background; next project is a powerful 2''x72'' Belt Grinder made with some US made Components from a guy in Sth Carolina, the Frame home made and power supply locally sourced. The aim is Scratch Built High Quality Auto Knives made in the Traditional Patterns.

David; the reason for making these Liner Assemblies is that some nasty man at one of our Airports didn't want me to have anything that could be considered fun. He sent me a nasty letter saying they were Forfeit to the Crown; apparently the Queen likes Switchblades too and has her loyal servants purloin them from poor schmucks like me. Luckily the ole dame didn't get the Blades or Springs so I at least have the basis for new knives. She'll just have to be content to push the button and pretend the Blade pops out in a suitably menacing fashion. I'm sure that will terrify the Corgies...

I'm still pumping out my 9 inchers in various configurations; plus the odd 11'' - I even do the occasional Safety for those who want one!!
Attachments
IMG_1257C.JPG
IMG_1257C.JPG (69.05 KiB) Viewed 6885 times
IMG_1276.JPG
IMG_1276.JPG (189.57 KiB) Viewed 6885 times
Last edited by The Reverend Sharp on Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Don't you love the way we are protected from ourselves by agents of the Gov't / Crown / Church / Allah, etc? What would we do without their constant vigilance in our behalf? I positively glow with satisfaction when I read all the simple minded warning labels on products purchased for our grandchildren. Had those been available when we were young, we might have lived longer...wait, we did live longer. I'm so confused.

Anyway, you have your work cut out. This will be a big test which I am sure you are more than up to. Please keep us informed re: your progress.
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

The Reverend Sharp wrote:Hi Bill, I'm making new Liners/Scales/Trigger and Bolsters for an 11'' Renzo P Frosolone. I have a set to copy.

I'm wondering if you have a method of D Stamping Liners or at least making the semi-circular cuts ?

I would like to make them as close as possible to the originals........
Hi Rev if im not mistaken the original Frosolone style stilettos from the 1920's and 30's did not have D-stamped liners they had pinned on brackets . if you want true original brackets would be way to go or if you want to make them like AGA with D stamped liners shoot Angelo at AGA a email see if he may still have one you can buy from him .
The Reverend Sharp

An email to Angelo is also a damn good idea Bernie! Only trouble is, I laid out a lot of dough on the last batch which Her Majesty ended up with a Royal share of. I'm now playing catch up and making copies of the missing bits.

When the coffers are replenished I'll be looking into doing just that...

Pinned on Brackets are also a good option, nice to get the perspective of folk who know what's under the Top Scale of a Vintage knife we never see on my side of the World.

Jerry on SD also had a great design for a D Stamper in Exumer's thread on the varying Sizes of D Stamps. If I get enough interest in these old style Knives it might be worth having a Machine Shop turn one out.

Some great people here with lots of valuable knowledge; I'll let you know howit goes!!

Chris.