Why not more picklocks?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
k32

Why not more picklocks?

Post by k32 »

Why are so few picklocks coming out of Italy these days? I see a few, and a few humpbacks, etc., but most are swivel bolsters. I like picklocks! Where are they?

Bill
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Re: Why not more picklocks?

Post by natcherly »

The swivel bolster was adopted as an improvement over the older picklock design as it allowed for more robust back spring tension. Too much tension on a pick would make it difficult / impossible to operate. That said, we collectors are always looking for something new and in 2001 Frank Beltrame produced the first pick in over 40 years for the now defunct TSF Forum. Frank still produces them today.
http://www.frankbeltrame.com/priced05.html

Not to be outdone, Armado Beltrame introduced 9" picks several years ago:
http://www.skm.to/c/itpl5/italian_pick_lock_9.html

AGA Campolin also makes a variety of picklocks such as 15" and 18" stilettos, fish styles in various sizes, the 16" Siciliano, etc. Unlike the above two makers, the Campolins do not sell direct to the public. Their wares can be found at various auctions, on-line knife shops, etc. Here is a video they produced.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZvUlVJl9m8

Hope this helps.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

IF, the swivel bolster had been made with equal size scales, the picklock would be a bad memory :wink: The swivel bolster is a superior design, poorly executed :wink:
k32

Post by k32 »

I appreciate the answers!

I do have a picklock (a conversion by Muskrat Man); it's one of the 5mm Walt's Latama knives. The back spring is VERY strong (or so it seems by the extraordinary strength and speed of opening). Most of my knives are either swivel bolster or button open or lock back. I'd think that there'd be more picklocks around, since most of us Italian stiletto guys seem like traditionalists. . . Are picklocks harder to manufacture?

Bill
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

k32 wrote:I do have a picklock (a conversion by Muskrat Man); it's one of the 5mm Walt's Latama knives. The back spring is VERY strong (or so it seems by the extraordinary strength and speed of opening).
Don't confuse the kick spring which deploys the blade with the back spring which has the lock tab on top which in turn secures the blade in the open position.
k32 wrote:Are picklocks harder to manufacture?
Some. There are differences that are present in picklocks but not in most swivel bolsters such as full liners that cover the bolster ears. Also the backspring in a pick needs to be adjusted to allow the user to easily pry open the lock tab without busting fingernails, etc. Try using the lock tab on a swivel bolster. Most of the time it is very difficult or impossible to pry the lock tab enough to release the blade. Of course there are exceptions as these knives are hand crafted for the most part and exhibit a fair degree of individuality. They are not built to a ironclad spec sheet. :mrgreen:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

natcherly wrote: Try using the lock tab on a swivel bolster. Most of the time it is very difficult or impossible to pry the lock tab enough to release the blade.
I tried on 6 of my bolster locks, using my "Swiss Army thumbnails" [very strong], the only knife I couldn't close easily was my biar/damascus [my favorite] :(
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

keep your eyes peeled should be some 9" and 11" picklocks from Frank later this year or early 2013.
9 inchers will only be available from me as i am owner of them , 11 inchers you can get from any of Franks distributors .

the picklocks Frank makes are top notch italian steel and very nice quality, they are limited editions so not made in large quanity.

Thanks Bernie *** Folgore Knives USA ***
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

here is pics of the 2007 9" picklock i did with Frank :)
Attachments
OCT-2012 081.jpg
OCT-2012 081.jpg (316.43 KiB) Viewed 8402 times
OCT-2012 080.jpg
OCT-2012 080.jpg (319.46 KiB) Viewed 8402 times
OCT-2012 078.jpg
OCT-2012 078.jpg (320.06 KiB) Viewed 8402 times
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Hey Bernie,

I have one of those that I got from you. It is quite nice.

Jim
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

SKM has some good picklocks at a reasonable price. Of course, you have to pay the shipping cost from Italy which at least $35 (it's ~$35 per 1/2 kg). I always try to order as close to 500 grams of stuff to make the most of the shipping fee.
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

The SKM or AB picklocks are made different than the Frank B picklocks i own, the skm liners are regular straight cut and do not cover the bolster ears or guards , Frank B picklocks liners are full cut and do cover the ears or guards, also bolsters are stainless steel on the skm/AB , Frank B. bolsters are real nickel/silver. Franks 9 inch picklocks also come with signed certificates which is something collectors really cherish. :D
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Yeah, the FB picklocks are great knives but if you just want a nice knife that has a picklock the ABs that SKM has are probably the best source, and they're always available.

come with signed certificates which is something collectors really cherish.
I always get a kick out of seeing auction listings for some cheap Asian clunker with a buy out of $15 and in the description is says "Sorry, no paperwork."

But how will I be sure it was made in China!?!
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

I prefer the old picklocks but they can be hard to close without busting a fingernail at times. :lol:
The ones I got from Walt seem to be easier to close then some of the older ones from Frank.
Those new ones from Frank look great. Can't wait to get a couple of the 9 inchers.
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
picklocksrock

Post by picklocksrock »

I’m seeing a Frank b picklock for sale Frank b on tang and get this it’s all stainless steel fittings except the liners which are just straight cut. Did Frank B ever make a picklock like this. Or is maybe it labeled wrong by the seller.
“Tough times never last, but tough people do”
-Robert H. Shuller
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Needless to say, I am a huge fan of the earlier picklocks and prefer a robust back spring, (Difficulty to close be damned). a nice clip point and 1095 Carbon steel makes for a nearly perfect 9" pocket carry knife. Click, carve and/or stab. It doesn't get much better.
Fishtail Picklock