Is it bad form to announce auctions?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
xiuxiu1313

Is it bad form to announce auctions?

Post by xiuxiu1313 »

I found an original Italian lockback Rizzy up for auction that is on a site that a lot of people here don't check...I dunno..maybe they do. Is it bad form to announce it? The people waiting to pounce on it might get pissed if I alert a bunch of people...not sure.

What do you all think?
BTB0923

Re: Is it bad form to announce auctions?

Post by BTB0923 »

ha, I know what auction you're referring to. Bad form? I bet the high bidder would say yes. :lol:
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408
xiuxiu1313

Post by xiuxiu1313 »

Yeah, if I was the high bidder I would be pissed. Just hate for anyone to miss out on the opportunity to bid. :D
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

I don't think it would be "bad form" to mention that auction. In fact, I think you would be performing a public service. Auctions aren't meant to be "secret."

I don't think you have to be told to know how the sellers would feel about it...

(My ownself mos' humble and totally worthless opinion).
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
dragonsteel

Post by dragonsteel »

Very few auctions are "secret" to switchblade hunters . If its misspelled or even a auction site that 5 people have visited you can probably count on least 2 of them collect switchblades. Some of us would have probably made great detectives . I feel sorry for all the kids that had to hunt Easter eggs with these same guys when they were kids. Still bad forum = Yes Will it make it sell for more sometimes the opposite. I have seen potential buyers not bid thinking the were up against 30 or so other bidders .Then perhaps everyone wanting to bid thinks the same and no one bids but 2-3 low bids and it sells cheap. It happens .Then again I once won a brand new converted Buck 110 still in the box for $.50. i emailed the seller told him to be more careful and he still had two other auctions he forgot to put reserves on. I would not hold someone to something like that.
ss_3124

Post by ss_3124 »

Any idea what a nice original Rizzuto lock back should sell for? Maybe the pictures don't do it justice but that one looks pretty rough.
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

ss_3124 wrote:Any idea what a nice original Rizzuto lock back should sell for? Maybe the pictures don't do it justice but that one looks pretty rough.
It's hard to put a solid pricetag on something like that. It's really just what a collector is willing to pay. (I know that's a lame answer, srry)
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408
missaman

Post by missaman »

Mr.666 Published an auction I was bidding on here on the forum.
I bumped his auction picks every time for months :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Missa
AutoMan

Post by AutoMan »

I'm sure the seller would appreciate it!!! :D

AutoMan
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

If it is an auction you are bidding on, I certainly do not recommend it because you will only generate more competition.
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Panzerfaust wrote:If it is an auction you are bidding on, I certainly do not recommend it because you will only generate more competition.
I don't think anyone in their right mind would announce, "Hey, guys, I'm bidding on "X" knife over at "X" Auction - Why don't you all come over and bid against me?" Not exactly in your ownself's bestest interests...

However, I don't see anything wrong with saying, "Hey, guys, "X" knife is on "X" Auction in case any of you are interested."

Of course, the high bidder on said knife would not be pleased because that would not be in HIS/HER bestest interest. Understandable.

However, everyone cannot watch every auction at all times, so I don't think a friendly "heads upness" is "Bad Form" at all... Isn't "competition" what auctions are all about?
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

JerrBear wrote:
Panzerfaust wrote:If it is an auction you are bidding on, I certainly do not recommend it because you will only generate more competition.
I don't think anyone in their right mind would announce, "Hey, guys, I'm bidding on "X" knife over at "X" Auction - Why don't you all come over and bid against me?" Not exactly in your ownself's bestest interests...

JerrBear, I have seen this happen on a gun forum, although not in the way you describe. What happens is, someone posts an auction they are interested in but want answers from forum "experts" on whether the gun has original finish, parts, matching numbers etc. If the experts give the gun their blessings, then the price can shoot up. I agree that auctions are about competition, although on some forums, some folks have said they will not bid on an item if another forum member is bidding on it.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

I do not see any problem with someone letting others know of interesting pieces that show up on auctions not widely covered by auto collectors. Or even if it is a well know auction. As the Jerrman said, it is rather a public service. And I have seen such notifications here and there.

On the other hand, I don't recall having seen it, but someone could announce,

"Hey, I'm bidding on x over at y auction. Please no one else bid as I really want this piece. The seller doesn't realize what he has, and I want to get it cheap so I can resell at a big markup."

I doubt that would be effective...