auto spike

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: auto spike

Post by Bill DeShivs »

It's actually gold leaf-very thin pieces of gold that are applied over a glue.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Bill DeShivs wrote:It's actually gold leaf-very thin pieces of gold that are applied over a glue.
"Gold filled" http://www.artisanplating.com/articles/ ... ufacturing would be better :idea:
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

That knife (sans gold) is very similar to the knife (mine is black) that got me into this hobby. About 10 years agoness a "Hoghead" (engineer) at work told me he had ordered several switchblades onna internet auction for $5 buck dollars each. I axed him iff'n he would sell me one when he got them and he agreed - He sold me one alright - FOR $20 BUCK DOLLARS! YIKESVILLE! I wasn't too happy about the price (he shouldn't have told me what he paid), but I was able to get some website addresses from him and after that it was all overness but the shouting! When I found out I could buy switchblades online, I thought I had died and gone to heaven...

My very first online purchase was a 13" white pearlex w/bayo from the gracious hosts of this fine Forum. I remember the day I received it inna mail very vividly - Felt like Christmas when I was a kid...
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

No, it's not gold filled. It's either leaf or paint.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Bill DeShivs wrote:No, it's not gold filled. It's either leaf or paint.
I said gold filled, WOULD be better :wink:
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Bill DeShivs wrote: No, it's not gold filled. It's either leaf or paint.
Vagrant wrote:I said gold filled, WOULD be better :wink:
I suspect it's just paint - Why would anyone put gold leaf onna cheap knife like that? Would be like putting a $3,000 grand thousand buck dollar paint job onna Yugo...
JerrBear
krakenten

Post by krakenten »

The auto spike makes a good scratch awl, marlinspike, leather punch or ice pick.

The Spike knives were very dangerous to carry, with no safety, they opened in the pocket, and those darn things were SHARP! With a point like a needle, and an edge like a barber's razor, it was a very unpleasant surprise when you tried to reach in there(happened to a guy I worked with, and he was cut to the bone. Yelling. Much blood.)

Good knife, but it needs a safety catch.
Life has no value, Death has a price
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

Where'd you get the spring Dark if you don't mind me asking?
From an old tire pressure gauge. It was a serious task getting it in there.
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
missaman

Post by missaman »

My autospike came in today
Very intresting design works like and looks one of those old time drafting tools little grabby fingers hold the spike in. Until one hits the release button at the end of the pen. VERY cool I will post pics soon
Missa
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

Yeah mine is in red, I compared it to my drafting pencil. It's pretty much the same length, but a bit thicker. Also, my spike is a shade or 2 lighter than the pencil.

BTW, I've heard that the ring that stops the spike can break, so if you change out your spring you should probably crimp a new ring of tougher metal to the spike.
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
1bladez9

Post by 1bladez9 »

I haVe a ReD onE aLsO. CarRy It LikE a PeN bUt I Do nOt no the law on thEm GueSs If I Get caUght with it I will but its a very cool piece of steel saw one and just had to get one to play with . ANy1 know if you sTill can purches the original gaurdfatherz
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

I haVe a ReD onE aLsO. CarRy It LikE a PeN bUt I Do nOt no the law on thEm GueSs If I Get caUght with it I will but its a very cool piece of steel saw one and just had to get one to play with . ANy1 know if you sTill can purches the original gaurdfatherz
Um, it would help my eyes (and nerves) if you would stick to one case (as in upper vs lower).

You can buy these things on bladeplay or even amzon (or cheaper from assistedknife.com).

As far as the law goes:
They are not technically switchblades seeing as how there is no blade, but they could still be considered a concealed weapon. (you could argue it is a "tool" (that just happens to make an effective weapon (like a pipe, or screwdriver)), but I don't know how well that would hold up in court)
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

dark2023 wrote: Um, it would help my eyes (and nerves) if you would stick to one case (as in upper vs lower).
Mr. Dark,

I admire your restraint - You put that a lot nicer than I would have...
JerrBear
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

You usually seem to be pretty nice, usually.