Italian tourist knife

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Panzerfaust

Italian tourist knife

Post by Panzerfaust »

Okay, guys, you want to see a cheap knife? It doesn't get any cheaper than this, a 1970s Italian "tourist knife" that cost me almost 85 bucks. Why did I pay that much? Well, 30 years ago, someone gave me one of these, and it was my second SB. Unfortunately, the spring broke, and I took the knife apart to try to repair it. I was somewhat successful and soldered the knife back together, but unfortunately, the homemade spring I installed also wore out and I tore the knife apart again and never got around to trying to put it back together. I still have some of the parts in an old tool box. I would never tear apart a knife today, but I was a teenager, and the knife was only several years old at that time. I saw one at a gun show several years ago and was ready to buy it until the seller told me the price was a $150. These knives are shown on page 102 of "Switchblades of Italy."
Attachments
DSCF1721.JPG
DSCF1721.JPG (47.82 KiB) Viewed 4113 times
whippersnapper

Re: Italian tourist knife

Post by whippersnapper »

I have a few, and like them...better than a Rizzy :lol:

Now I'll be on BTB0923's chit list....lol
jimbeam

Post by jimbeam »

whippersnapper wrote:I have a few, and like them...better than a Rizzy :lol:

:lol:
birdieman

Post by birdieman »

I think Horizonod has them for $70 on his site.
picklock junkie
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

whippersnapper wrote:I have a few, and like them...better than a Rizzy :lol:

BLASPHEMY! HOW DARE YOU SIR! :lol:

Didn't Wild Zebra upgrade the scales on one of those recently?
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

In the 70s in Italy, I saw this model in a store and thought it was a fake button like they were selling in the US at the time. I asked to see it and to my surprise it was a switchblade! Not a good one, but a switchblade...lol...I actually think the Japan made Rizzy are better then this....
lars

Post by lars »

Cheapie or not, still very nice!
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Panzerfaust wrote:Okay, guys, you want to see a cheap knife? It doesn't get any cheaper than this, a 1970s Italian "tourist knife"
Mr. Panzerfaust,

I agree with your assessment. Here is my take on them twice times years agoness...
JerrBear May 9, 2009 wrote: I have a set (4) of those and I think they're junk! The handles are shell wrapped and the quality is poor. To me, they appear to be made from olde beer cans by a worker who personally emptied them.

Many people LOVE them!
I believe I paid $125 buck dollars for the set...
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
wild zebra

Post by wild zebra »

yep btb it was a bugger I want to do another

I won't start a peeing contest on which are better rizzy or these, but mine was a POS that's why I took it apart and gave it an upgrade. It rarely locked open and the "scales" are just plastic wrap that started to tear (as JerrBear stated). I think it's the luck of the draw. I got two and the other is a lot better. I'm not sure if the ones that are at Stu's or were floating around a ways back are vintage. Mine sure looked like a current production. Even NOS have signs of wear. Stu has a bunch of "bargain bin" ones I thought about converting to fishtails. Need to do another one to get the hang of it, all that aside cool knives for what they are I like the pattern.

See there are even vintage Italian crappy made switches out there!!!! Rizzy and Super Auto meet your new friend... the Vintage Italian Tourist knife
missaman

Post by missaman »

These are of same quality :wink:
Attachments
MVC-011S.JPG
MVC-011S.JPG (21.71 KiB) Viewed 4007 times
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

Nice Imperials Missaman! My Italian knife reminds me of some of the cheaper vintage American knives.
Belmont800

Post by Belmont800 »

Nice tourist knife, I have one just like it. There is one like this on BladeBid for a quite LARGE amount of $ with a gondola boat scene on it...
Belmont800
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

I agree, they are pretty cheap, but a must in all collections. :lol:
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
HDC

Post by HDC »

Panzerfaust wrote:Okay, guys, you want to see a cheap knife? It doesn't get any cheaper than this, a 1970s Italian "tourist knife" that cost me almost 85 bucks. Why did I pay that much? Well, 30 years ago, someone gave me one of these, and it was my second SB. Unfortunately, the spring broke, and I took the knife apart to try to repair it. I was somewhat successful and soldered the knife back together, but unfortunately, the homemade spring I installed also wore out and I tore the knife apart again and never got around to trying to put it back together. I still have some of the parts in an old tool box. I would never tear apart a knife today, but I was a teenager, and the knife was only several years old at that time. I saw one at a gun show several years ago and was ready to buy it until the seller told me the price was a $150. These knives are shown on page 102 of "Switchblades of Italy."
Nice, i have two sets of all the colors stashed some where in this mess haaaa i like them...Duncan
stay thirsty my friend
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

HDC wrote:
i have two sets of all the colors stashed some where in this mess haaaa i like them...
Mr. HDC.

Don't feel like the "Lone Stranger!" I moved into my house about 1-1/2 years ago and I haven't seen my set since - (Anna LOT of other stuff tooness is MIA)... :P HO! HO! :P
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?