best knives in the world?

This is a forum for discussion on professional kitchen knives and accessories. This forum is sponsored by Due Buoi.

Moderators: natcherly, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
roran1234

Re: best knives in the world?

Post by roran1234 »

Vagrant wrote:
JerrBear wrote:
roran1234 wrote: you can't compare a $89 Global G-2 to a $3000 Korin........
Would you please to explain what one can do with a $3000 Korin that can't be done equally well with an $89 Global G-2?
Full agreement. Beyond a certain point, you are paying for artistry and esthetics NOT practiaclity :idea:
An M-16 is "nicer" and more accurate than an AK BUT, the AK is more powerful and FAR more reliable :!: [And, costs FAR less] :wink:
of course, an AK-47 is $6 on the world markets today...
razor

Post by razor »

its really funny to read these cuz you get alot of people who suggest shun or global or god forbid henkel's but your asking for the best knives in the world. in reality these knives dont even compare to hattori or tanaka or any of the other hand made japanese knives and yes they may be very hard to find let alone afford but there is nothing that comes close to them in quality.
Azel1488

Post by Azel1488 »

I've been a chef for over 30 years had many different knives in my life and would tell you this for sure
i would never bring an expensive to a kitchen too much abuse just recently i bought a few SHUN knives from japan
and i love them i think for the 10in chef i paid $85 the knife holds a nice edge very happy with them so try the SHUN
and you won't go wrong
Azel1488

Post by Azel1488 »

razor wrote:its really funny to read these cuz you get alot of people who suggest shun or global or god forbid henkel's but your asking for the best knives in the world. in reality these knives dont even compare to hattori or tanaka or any of the other hand made japanese knives and yes they may be very hard to find let alone afford but there is nothing that comes close to them in quality.
I know were you are coming from but most chef's don't bring there good knives to a kitchen at work
the knife gets abused to much i have a nice knives i use at home
macrylinda1

Post by macrylinda1 »

JerrBear wrote:
sammy da blade wrote: Best cooking knives in the world are the Ginsu that are on info. commercials around this time of year. If you don't believe me just ask them!
natcherly wrote: So true. I love that famous dish they always feature when demonstrating the cutting abilities of the knives, Braised Beer Can.
I have found the MB cans to be the mos' tastyness... :P

CAUTION!
Do not overcook as this could cause molten metal to penetrate your tongue and lower jaw, land on your shoe and give you one helluva "hotfoot!" :P HO! HO! :P
I'm sorry but i disagree Kasumi and Global are good, don't get me wrong, but they don't even touch the surface; let alone scratch it, when it comes to high end knives
catavengercaptain

Post by catavengercaptain »

So what are some "high end knives"? :?:
Bladerunner61

Post by Bladerunner61 »

I truly believe that the price on a knife is not important. All the knives in my set are various "Brand names" and prices. It has taken me years of using and kitchen experience (Chef) to explore the knife experience. I as an avid user do not prefer "Global". The fit in my hand and the speed I do not agree with. I personal preference is a high carbon surgical steel blade for my work. It will take a punch if needed and keep an edge. But on the downside its hard to sharpen on the fly. I have my own sharpening system witch I use to keep my steel sharp enough to shave hair when I'm finished. All your knives should have a very comfortable feel and be fast enough for the task at hand. IE: Global chef knife might be good for your big jobs but a Global fillet may not work as well for you as maybe Shun or Wusthof or whatever. Just be patient when buying, no need to have a trophy knife if it does not work for you. Hope I have left some insight on your "Best knife" experience?
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Re: 0.о Долго я ждал

Post by JerrBear »

BoniStailiafog wrote:все прям профи такие....
HEY! That's what I was going to say! :P HO! HO! :P
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Japanese culinary knives are the best and this is an example of a slicer under 100 dollars that is far superior to any Henckels or Global.

Look around on this site,they have a wide range of Japanese knives from 30 to 900 dollars.
I would put almost any Japanese culinary knife up against any other.

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/product. ... Woodworker
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

If the infomercials are to believe, then the Yoshi blades are the best.
Full agreement. Beyond a certain point, you are paying for artistry and esthetics NOT practiaclity :idea:
An M-16 is "nicer" and more accurate than an AK BUT, the AK is more powerful and FAR more reliable :!: [And, costs FAR less]
But when it comes down to it a gun is meant to shoot and kill, and if your gun wont shoot it dosent matter how accurate it SHOULD be.
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
panner

Post by panner »

Maruyoshi Co. of Japan : I have heard that these guys offer a quality knife at a reasonable price?
EVERY MAN DIES : NOT EVERY MAN REALLY LIVES.
Dubsy

Post by Dubsy »

"high end" is all relative. if you're talking about a certain type of knife, like a slicer, you can spend hundreds, but my slicer, which i honestly think is the best on the market, is a $50 Victorinox. its sharp, and thinner than any forged slicer. since its stamped it sharpens quickly, and since it is a slicer, it doesnt get used as much as you'd think, so it doesnt need to hold an edge as long as a forged knife.

chef knives, however, are a whole other story. im in love with mine. ive had it for a few years now, and ive sharpened it less than a dozen times. Misono's are pretty much the best knives out there, in my opinion. they're thin, hold an edge really well, really well balanced, extraordinarily comfortable, and absolutely stunning(atleast the UX10). if you want the best, id look into them. they range from $115-$330 for the UX10 on korin.

and i disagree with Globals being for heavier work. i hate global knives, but their fillet knife is a real pleasure to use. extremely flexible.
catavengercaptain

Post by catavengercaptain »

But my porkchop tastes better when I cut it with a thousand dollar knife! :lol:
merKar

Post by merKar »

Funge107

Post by Funge107 »

Best knife in the world is the one that you consider the best in the word for you even if it cost you $100.00!!