sharpening a blade

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Dave Blade

sharpening a blade

Post by Dave Blade »

I already have a sharpening stone but would someone tell me what angle I should sharpen with and if i should wet the stone? Thanks to whoever replies(I am sort of new with sharpening knives).
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

20 to 30 degrees depending. make like your slicing a piece out of the stone then reverse. Or keep doing one side till you get a burr which is also a wire edge once you get this do the otherside a few strokes to get rid of the wire edge and your good to go. Many people feel the wire edge and think they have a fantasticly sharp blade but any cutting gets rid of the edge in record time and your back where you started with a dull knife
PB.
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

What Pushbutton said and yes you should wet the stone with a light oil. I use the 3 in 1, this will prevent the pores in the stone from being clogged up with metal particals.
I also finish off the blade with an old leather belt, this will also remove any burrs.
You can also get yourself a Lansky System, they are great for beginners.
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
missaman

Post by missaman »

hope you don't have a dual speed tanto will get on your case about a clone, still living this down. use a stone with a light oil like singer sewing machine oil or 3 in one oil
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Thanks for the info on blade sharpening, believe or not, this is a complete mystery to some of us but thanks to your simple advice I now have my Leatherman Super Tool almost as sharp as the day I got it and in a short while it will be as sharp as the day I got it. Thanks again. :D
Regards
blackjack
Last edited by blackjack on Fri May 30, 2003 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

once you get the hang of it, sharpening a blade is better than therapy... its down right relaxing for me.
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

i think it's a very important skill for a knife collector to have, considering you can't take your switchblades to the "guy at the mall" for a quick sharpen.....

do any of you know if there are any true masters of knife repair and modification up here in canada? a canadian version of nemo, or bill deshivs?