Gurkha? Kukri? Sword?

This board is dedicated to small and big blades related to daggers, swords, and similar items.

Moderators: Milu, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Viking45

Gurkha? Kukri? Sword?

Post by Viking45 »

This little jewel has been in my family for over 35 years. My cousin in California belonged to a biker club called the Hessians (West Coast) and he gave this to me many years ago.
Does anyone know anything about it or what it's value may be?
It has a buffalo horn handle with inlays and the aluminum butt has a carved lion's face.
Overall length is 3 ft. It has a wooden sheath with a thin black leather overlay.
The sheath is not in great shape and I was going to recover it but held off for fear of hurting the value(if any)
It has INDIA on the blade and can be seen in the pic if you look close.
Any info would be appreciated.

Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Re: Gurkha? Kukri? Sword?

Post by Vagrant »

I don't know enough about Kukris [various spellings] to estimate the value on any of them :(
I do know that ones from India are worth less than ones from Nepal.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Vagrant wrote:I don't know enough about Kukris [various spellings] to estimate the value on any of them :(
I do know that ones from India are worth less than ones from Nepal.
Yeah I figured that one from Nepal would be worth more. India and Pakistan kinda go hand in hand when it comes to quality.

(would it help if I stamped "Nepal" on the blade?) :lol:

Thanks for the input Mr. V
cleancut

Post by cleancut »

Viking45
I think its a Gurkha regimental kukri. I believe only one per reg was issued. You will need to verify that though.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Only ONE per regiment was ISSUED but MANY MORE were sold as surplus :lol:
That is fancier than the "official" one :idea:
http://www.atlantacutlery.com/p-1007-ge ... kukri.aspx
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

This thing is exactly 3 feet long and has the wooden sheath with leather and once had the two little ones at one time.
I'm sure this is not worth much but one never knows unless you ask around.

Someday I would like to have one of the smaller fancy ones with the medallions on the sheath.

Thanks for the help guys.
S&W

Post by S&W »

These swords are collectible and I do believe the larger one to be a beheading sword. If it is a Naples,It would be pricey. I've had only one this large and it had a human hip bone for a handle. Watch the end of "Apocalypse now " and you see a native cutting the head off a water buffalo with one. The smaller knifes where skinners. And as with most things they are often missing.I Sold this Plaque for $153.00.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

NO Kukri [made in India] can properly be considered a "beheading sword" :!: :idea:
The mostly Hindu/Bhuddist nature of India would consider any such use a sacrilege :idea:
The Gurkhas [of NEPAL] do have [had?] one ceremony in which they do behead a water buffalo and MAY at one time or another have used a [British supplied] Indian Kukri [they are part of the british army] but, I'm sure that far more often they used an indigenous one.
This is an Indian "collectable/tourist treasure" :idea:
However if a "good story" helps sell an item, so be it :lol:
S&W

Post by S&W »

It's alway's Good to learn Something new. Thank's Bud. Good Info.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I found a lot of info when I bought a Nepalese kukri [three computers ago]. But all that's left is what I remember, I can't even remember the name of the maker of mine :(
The "skinning" knives are mostly "tradition" and one of them isn't even sharpened [at all]on mine :( [Sharpeing it would reduce any "collector value"] :idea:
S&W

Post by S&W »

What of the insignia's? differant regament's? I ask couse I've seen one that had several on its sheath.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

That is proably a "Official" British Contract Item [made in India, under a military contract], and a seperate catagory. I am NOT an expert on these [at all] :wink:
I know there were "contract over-runs" and thousands were released as surplus.
[SOME people contend, this was intentional] :lol:
Insignia could, indicate it WAS issued but that require a militery expert to determine it's history :idea: [It might indicate who it was intended to be issued to, before being released as surplus, [beats me] :wink:
bravosoldier

Post by bravosoldier »

A kukri is a curved gurkha knife. There are 2 types of kukri the eastern and western blades.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I get strange looks when I go to the market...being this is my EDC knife.
India or Nepal makes very little difference to the local shoppers,as I usually get the pick of fresh strawberries and kiwis. :lol:
Shag

Post by Shag »

Vagrant wrote:I found a lot of info when I bought a Nepalese kukri [three computers ago]. But all that's left is what I remember, I can't even remember the name of the maker of mine :(
The "skinning" knives are mostly "tradition" and one of them isn't even sharpened [at all]on mine :( [Sharpeing it would reduce any "collector value"] :idea:

The two small knives are called: Karda and Chakmak. Their uses are: Karda (Small Skinning/Utility Knife) and Chakmak (Sharpener). The reason one of yours was not sharpened is because it is a sharpener for the large Kukri knife. The Chakmak is made of a much harder steel than the Kukri, thus it will work as a field expedient sharpener if you do not have a stone on hand.
Albert Einstein: “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.”