unknown switchblade from ITALY?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
BFowler

unknown switchblade from ITALY?

Post by BFowler »

I was hoping someone could identify this switchblade for me and give me information regarding it. It was my grandfathers who was in World War II, and he was in Italy during part of the time, so I'm assuming he picked it up then. His father was in world war 1.....I don't know if it was his or not, I'm thinkin my grandfathers' since he was in Italy and talked of it alot.
Attached are pictures....
Opened up it is approximately 34 inches long from tip to end. Closed up it is 17 inches approx. It has some letter on it which I beleive are
G.C CO and then it says ITALY.

Is anyone familiar with this type switchblade? Any help would be appreciated....value, how old, rarity, information??? etc... THANKS..
Attachments
Picture 012.jpg
Picture 012.jpg (16.56 KiB) Viewed 7031 times
Picture 011.jpg
Picture 011.jpg (86.52 KiB) Viewed 7028 times
Picture 010.jpg
Picture 010.jpg (95.63 KiB) Viewed 7028 times
eastcoastsniper

Re: unknown switchblade from ITALY?

Post by eastcoastsniper »

Thirty four inches ??????
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Stiletto yes, switchblade no. It isn't an auto.
redeye

Post by redeye »

WOW that is a very cool old knife.while it is not actually a switchblade it is a lockback manual stiletto.also called a humpback by some. it is also known as a "silver plug" because of the plug where the button would be. it is also a display knife made much larger than a normal one would be to be used in a cutlery shop for advertising the products in smaller sizes. it was made by GC CO. which is Guttman Cutlery Company. i am not really sure of the years of production but at least early 60s or before possibly. just after the 1958 ban was ennacted. it is pretty rare but the condition is pretty bad too. the rust should be stopped ASAP with some oil and the horn is eaten up by beetle larvae. the bolsters are in decent shape except for some oxidation that can be polished up quite q bit. i like em in the old as found condition but ya really need to stop the actice rust at least for now. i am not a restoration expert but i does know what i like in my old knives . if it was mine i would do just what i said about the rust and maybe put some of Smallfoots magic rub on the scales to stop the drying out process that has started . i hope this little bit of info helps.
I am the KING of LATAMA collectors HAHAHAHAHAHAHA {EVIL LAUGH}
redeye

Post by redeye »

wow snapper you and sniper are fast.
eastcoastsniper

Post by eastcoastsniper »

redeye wrote:wow snapper you and sniper are fast.
Fast and accurate....well, sometimes anyway.haha

34" makes more sense as a folder than a switch.

I knew Redeye would come along and set everyone straight.

If this knife could talk, I'd pull up a chair :)
j.a.c.

Post by j.a.c. »

My guess would be post WW2 , as far as I know they didn't use the plugs till after the switchblade ban.
If I'm wrong someone will let us know.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

And, a wild guess it was early 60s since it is carbon steel, which should help date it.
[If anyone knows when they swirtched to SS,that will help even more] :idea:
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

We need the proper measurements of the knife. It is not 34 inches. 34 CM maybe, but not inches.
The knife is most definitely post 1958. G.C. (Gutmann Cutlery) was a US importer. Your knife was made in Maniago, Italy, likely by the Mauro Mario company.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
BFowler

Post by BFowler »

Wow! All this information is so Helpful and very important to me. I am female, don't know much about knifes, but I am a writer and have tried to record and keep all the stories that my grandfather has told me about. Only in the last few years of his life has he opened up about the war stories. For as long as I've known he would NEVER talk of the war, because he said it was "hell" on earth....and he just couldn't go there. But then a few years back as health and his mind started to go further back he started to share and open up. I had pen and paper ready..... I have sat on the back porch with my grandfather for many years and listened to his old stories of war and the many things that he brought back and the stories that goes with them. He was 89, I found this blade hidden and pushed to the very back of an old shelf. This is one story I DIDN'T get.... That is why I am so curious to know about it. He was the only one who came out alive from his entire platoon and over the years that played on him. I'm sure he just stuffed back things that reminded him of war, as he did with the knife, and his memories of it.
I have remeasured as much as I know how to do ....
I incorrectly said inches earlier......but meant 'cm'

however, on remeasuring in inches it is from tip of blade to rounded end it is 13 and a quarter inch long. I definetely will get it cleaned up and put in a display case. I appreciate all your help. It means alot to me. And your right... If ONLY this blade could talk!
redeye

Post by redeye »

ok since it is CMs not inches that changes a few things it was not a display knife but just a regular 13 incher but i think all the other stuff is correct. if not yall set me straight thanx