Eastcoastsniper was probably right...

This is a forum for discussion on professional kitchen knives and accessories. This forum is sponsored by Due Buoi.

Moderators: natcherly, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
The Tourist

Eastcoastsniper was probably right...

Post by The Tourist »

A few days ago I mentioned that I often use my EDC knives to eat with when on the road. Eastcoastsniper mentioned that "cleanliness" might be an issue. He raised a vaild point.

The problem is that sometimes you just have to be practical. Obviously, I'd love to eat on a clean tablecloth with pristine silverware at every meal. You don't always get your choice on the road, and at least you know where your EDC has been.

But the more and more I thought about his opinion, I realized he was right. If I'm going to travel light, then I'm going to have to pick better tools. I already carry a collapsible toothbrush.

I did a brief search and found a unique product called "The Boker SnacPac." It is a very lightweight and cheap set of a knife, fork and spoon. The handles are plastic, but the utensils themselves are stainless. And stainless anything is better than plastic when eating by the roadside.

"Lightweight" often means poorly made, and to hedge my bet I bought two sets for about 7 bucks per set on the 'net. I figure I'd jam one set in my leather jacket for this weekend and use it everytime I ate, and then write a report. If it broke or I gave it away I'd have the other set for actual use when riding.

But it bears out Eastcoastsniper's point. We travel, we go on the road, we pack everything else. It makes sense to carry some clean eating utensils. Now, no doubt I would clean my regular EDC knife for steak if that's what was on the menu. And I take pretty good care of my stuff.

But knowing where the fork came from before you put it in your mouth makes a lot of sense. We teach here that knives and cutting instruments are "tools" and this seems like a prudent course.

The downside is that I had to admit that 'Sniper was right. Ouch, that hurt...
eastcoastsniper

Re: Eastcoastsniper was probably right...

Post by eastcoastsniper »

The Tourist wrote:
The downside is that I had to admit that 'Sniper was right. Ouch, that hurt...
Like I said Mr. tourist, I wasn't looking to get into a debate.

On a daily basis, my EDC is used for prying open the weedeater head and scraping the gunk out of it, opening grass seed bags, mixing custom blends of fertilizer, scoring the root system of nursery plants about to be installed, cutting the extra rubber off a plug I just put in a tire to fix a leak and anything else that arises. I actually use my EDC!! I would be pretty hard pressed to use it to eat with. Now, if YOU simply carried a knife with you on a daily basis, (granted, you can still call it the EDC), and never USED it, Slice away at your sirloin!

Even under these circumstances of use and abuse, I've been carrying the same knife for over a year. It's a switchblade, and still works flawlessly. The only reason I replaced it , is because the last one must have caught hold of some bushes somewhere along the daily routine and fallen out of my pocket.

Personally, I do a lot of traveling on the bike too.. We sometimes ride 375 miles round trip to go out for a bbq sandwich in another state. The last thing I'd want to worry about carrying with me is a set of utensils!
The Tourist

Post by The Tourist »

eastcoastsniper wrote:Like I said Mr. tourist, I wasn't looking to get into a debate.
Don't apologize. It's a good point. And a forum should be an exchange of ideas that makes people think and helps folks.
On a daily basis, my EDC is used for prying open the weedeater head and scraping the gunk out of it
Our jobs, differ, obviously. I slice open UPS boxes more than anything else. But admittedly, "scraping and filth" is a part of the being out in the open. Previously this past year I carried a Graham Stubby. It has a 1.5 inch blade and you barely know you have it with you. I now carry the Razel folder for the crud. (My EDCs are pictured below.)
The last thing I'd want to worry about carrying with me is a set of utensils!
I bought a new jacket this year for riding, kind of a ballistic nylon affair (pictured below) that is wind-proof, incredibly light and far superior to leather in my opinion. It's more of an "adult jacket," made to be practical other than stylish. You'd be amzed on much cargo disappears into the numerous pockets!

Chuckyl

Post by Chuckyl »

Hmmmm, an HD jacket I see. What do you ride?
The Tourist

Post by The Tourist »

Chuckyl wrote:Hmmmm, an HD jacket I see. What do you ride?
I ride the most over-maintained, chrome dipped, frightening piece of 1936-related technology in the entire Dane County area. :twisted:
Chuckyl

Post by Chuckyl »

Wowsers! :D
The Tourist

Post by The Tourist »

So far the Boker Snac-Pacs have not arrived. It will be several days. But I did discuss the issue with a friend of my wife's at dinner.

As some of you might know, this friend goes to an extensive migraine retreat that the Mayo Clinic offers each summer. The patients call it "Headache Camp." It occurred to me to give one set of the Bokers to this friend, but they will arrive after she leaves.

But she did opine this.

She is going to be dining in common area cafeterias, in her hotel room and chance meals at local fast-food restaurants. She can control none of the preparation or the pedigree of the utensils. She cannot even verify if the utensils have been properly cleaned, even if they look okay in appearance.

A personal set of utensils would allow her to clean them by her own standards. They are shipped in a nested-container, an easy chore for an average sized purse (or the deep pockets of a riding jacket).

In short, one less hassle of travel.

I agree, and if we do nothing here on the forum it's to discuss better ways of living with new ideas. Hey, I don't rep for Boker, I get no reward. But I'm looking forward to another aspect of making life easier.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Why not bring your own dishes and food? If I was you I would worry more about the staff spitting in my food for being such a fruitloop. :roll:
eastcoastsniper

Post by eastcoastsniper »

whippersnapper wrote:Why not bring your own dishes and food? If I was you I would worry more about the staff spitting in my food for being such a fruitloop. :roll:
Image . Image
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

whippersnapper wrote:Why not bring your own dishes and food? If I was you I would worry more about the staff spitting in my food for being such a fruitloop. :roll:
BINGO!

Image :P HO! HO! :P Image
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
The Tourist

Post by The Tourist »

In an odd way, we're doing that, as well. Things are leveling out, we've decided to eat more at home.

Last year was terrible. Just about all avenues of our lives were centered on my wife's surgery and rehabilitation. Many week nights my wife didn't want to cook, and I was so bummed out I didn't want to clean. We went to restaurants.

That's changing. But as summer arrives, I'm on the road more. In fact, I'm thinking about buying an Iron 883 and turning it into a scooter to carry a sharpening kit for going to see local clients.

Granted, the health of the in-laws is a new wrinkle, but what else can I do but try to find solutions to new problems?
Cryptomecanic

Post by Cryptomecanic »

Good one Whipper !
The Tourist

Post by The Tourist »

Ya' know, if some of you guys are really brave you can take a black-light with you into the next hotel room in which you stay.

You will find "bodily fluids" in some of the most bizarre places! And that includes the walls, the curtains and the ceiling...

Most folks admit that if they did in fact take a black-light into the rooms, certainly no one would stay. Some places look like there has been a running shotgun battle using semen as ammunition! And bedspreads in some places are not changed every time. Only the sheets.

I did hear a valid statistic on CSI. One of the techies stated that she only eats food that she herself had prepared. If a restaurant had prepared the food, at least five people have breathed upon it.

So taking a clean fork with straight tines and a sharp knife along with me is very minor.

Oh well, debate amongst yourselves. I just stopped home to let the dogs out and I'm back on the highway...
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

The Tourist wrote:Ya' know, if some of you guys are really brave you can take a black-light with you into the next hotel room in which you stay.

You will find "bodily fluids" in some of the most bizarre places! And that includes the walls, the curtains and the ceiling... Some places look like there has been a running shotgun battle using semen as ammunition!
Do you alla time travel with a black light to check for semen stains?
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
The Tourist

Post by The Tourist »

JerrBear wrote:Do you alla time travel with a black light to check for semen stains?
No, I never did, but it has changed my mind about the places I stay!

There was a show on "60 Minutes" (I believe) that showed the real condition of hotel rooms. A real eye-opener.