Let's make a Mikov

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
butch

Re: Let's make a Mikov

Post by butch »

if you did I sent it by mistake,I was supposed to send a leverletto kit. :oops: if thats the case its not a big deal,as long as I know where it went,dont want the boys getting ahold of them :shock:
cleancut

Post by cleancut »

eastcoastsniper:
You got it going on man :!: :!: :!: :!: , very nice I look forward to your next one.
CC
Chrisadamley

Post by Chrisadamley »

im actually really glad he showed the step by step of the file work...I was having a hard time finding good tutorials on how to do stuff like that.
eastcoastsniper

Post by eastcoastsniper »

Here is a step by step drawing of filework similar to the what I made for the mikov. This shows a slight angle for the first cut, where I went in straight.
Justin....Do you still have that filework link I sent you a while back?
eastcoastsniper

Here are step by step close ups of the thorn and vine filework .
http://beknivessite2.homestead.com/vinefilework.html
This is really quite easy to do. The whole process takes less than an hour..

Give it a try :)
eastcoastsniper

The moment we've been waiting for. Let's put it together!

We'll start with the top scale pins. Simply slide them in.
file off the pins and leave about 1/16" showing on the underside. Give them a few taps with a small jewelers hammer. Make sure the round part of the pin is resting on your anvil when you tap it, otherwise you may damage the scales you've worked so hard on. If there is still excess showing, file off a little more and tap again until flush with the liner. The pin holes are tapered on the bottom side. When you tap the pins, they will spread out, filing in the tapered area and securing the scales to the liner. When you finish securing the pins, sand or file flush to the liner. Even a small piece protruding could prevent the blade from functioning properly.
Here's a pic of the jewelers hammer.
You can find them on ebay, or here.
http://www.contenti.com/products/hammers/260-490.html
Next, locate the pivot pin and taper it slightly on the belt sander. This pin is very tight and difficult to install without a slight taper.
Line up the pivot pin and give it a few taps until it's about 3/4 of the way in.
Locate the blade. Put a drop of lubricating oil on your finger and rub it on both sides of the blade at the pivot hole. Set the blade on the scale.
Slide the two 3/32 pins through the scales.
Slide the other scale on! It's starting to look pretty nice now. Note the spring has not been installed yet.
Slide the spring in from the rear. Some kits have two thin springs. The assembly is the same. Here is a video showing how to remove and install the spring.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTY_tTLrm1k
The spring is now properly installed.
Next, snip or file off the excess on the two 3/32 pins. Leave a little more than 1/16 on each side.
Using your jewelers hammer, start tapping the 3/32 pins making sure the other side is resting on the anvil. Tap downward and outward beveling and tightening. This takes a little practice, but, you'll get the hang of it. Or, you can just tap both sides until tight and sand flush with the belt sander and re-finish the scales. Or, you can finish them off with a pin spinner. This is a neat homemade device I bought on the SD auction site that spreads out, and rounds off the pin heads at the same time.
Here is an excellent video of the peening process. I would recommend using a smaller hammer though!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vihhWXSbPQY
Next, we do the same as described above with the pivot pin. If you decide to peen the pivot pin, sometimes a flat end counter sink tool works well to get into that tight space. If you decide to try that, It's best to have a friend steady the knife while you work on it. I used my pin spinner. I like the results!
Now I'm going to give it a quick polish (metal and wood) with 4000 grit cloth and put another coat of minwax on it and she'll be ready for presentation.
I'll post the finished knife this afternoon. Please ask any questions or add your comments :)
Springmesser

Post by Springmesser »

eastcoastsniper wrote:Here are step by step close ups of the thorn and vine filework .
http://beknivessite2.homestead.com/vinefilework.html
This is really quite easy to do. The whole process takes less than an hour..

Give it a try :)
I would like a junk piece to learn on...would not want to mangle a kit.
Springmesser

Post by Springmesser »

When you tap the pins, they will spread out, filing in the tapered area
LLs don't have that nice feature....you got to drill it out a little yourself...makes it so the pins still hold tight when filed flat. :)
Springmesser

Post by Springmesser »

I like the single spring better...my kits have 2 thin springs.
flytyer46

Post by flytyer46 »

Wonderful post! I have a mikov kit waiting on some scale material. This thread
is a great tool for us non experts. And I stress the NON!

Thanks

Tim
eastcoastsniper

Thanks for all the comments guys,

We just made a Mikov and here she is.....

This should be an ongoing thread. If you have tips or tricks you come up with, make sure to contribute to this post. If you add a picture, just make sure it's someplace that won't get deleted...EVER!!

I had fun making this one and I hope everyone learned some tricks and tips. Get in touch with HDC, buy a kit and make a cool knife.

Make sure and post a picture when you finish....We like pic's
butch

Post by butch »

This should be an ongoing thread. If you have tips or tricks you come up with, make sure to contribute to this post. If you add a picture, just make sure it's someplace that won't get deleted...EVER!!
I agree,I think this is definitley worthy of being a sticky. 8)
j.a.c.

Post by j.a.c. »

Great job on the knife and tutorial. Now if we can get one of the Mods to make it a sticky ,
It will be easily found for future use and reference.
vernfonk

Post by vernfonk »

Thanks for the tutorial. Well done. I might buy a kit and try one of these for the scales. I like the grain patterns.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offe ... ct=Reviews
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offe ... ct=Reviews
Springmesser

Post by Springmesser »

Beautiful knife.... :)