Knives to register for

This is a forum for discussion on professional kitchen knives and accessories. This forum is sponsored by Due Buoi.

Moderators: natcherly, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
larrylong

Knives to register for

Post by larrylong »

Ok, so getting Married in 4 months and we decided to go with Target as our gift registry. Now I know they do not carry "top of the line" knifes, but does anyone out there have any suggestions for a nice quality starter that "can" be picked up from Target, i.e Brand and such. I'm looking for a typical chef knife and then the whole set with steak knifes and such for the wife to use :D I was told I was not allowed a Glestain, which I was hoping for since I have had the privilege of using one of the chefs at work.
Vanagas

Re: Knives to register for

Post by Vanagas »

Was in Target last week and took a walk down the knife aisle. Nothing really caught my eye, but what I was looking for was a sharpening steel. I bought one and can report it works very well. J A Henckels is the name on the steel and also the name of the better knives I believe. Can't say for sure how good though, never used one.
Mike
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

J A Henckels produce good cutlery. They make at least a couple of lines. I suspect Target doesn't carry the top end. I have a few of their better knives; in use now for almost 40 years.
larrylong

Post by larrylong »

Thank you for the info. Seems Henkal is what im gonna go with as everyone from the forums I have posted on agrees :D
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Henckels will be easiest to find :idea:
Two others worth consideration : Due Buoi and Russell [Green-River] :idea: